Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My question is, if I am a UK national (born in the UK) but I live abroad currently (and have been for the past 3 years) can I still apply for student finance as the university I have applied to has assessed me as a home student?
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by ninja1012)
    My question is, if I am a UK national (born in the UK) but I live abroad currently (and have been for the past 3 years) can I still apply for student finance as the university I have applied to has assessed me as a home student?
    Hey ninja1012, I just wanted to let you know we've moved your thread from our Advice on Everyday Issues forum to our Student Finance forum in the hope you'll get better replies here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninja1012)
    The uni and SF will each make their own decision and they won't necessarily agree.

You need to have been in the EU/EEA or maintained a base in the UK if outside that- being considered "ordinarily resident" - in order to qualify for Student Finance. Your nationality has no bearing on your entitlement.

Do you have anything which would prove that you always intended to come back to the UK? e.g. a temporary visa. Something to prove that you remained based in the UK? e.g. registration with a GP/dentist. If you have this and it covers the past five years, then wherever you've been living, you can get the SF Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan.

If you don't have that proof, then your options shrink. If you've been in the EU/EEA, you will get a Tuition Fee Loan but not a Maintenance Loan. If you've been outside the EU/EEA then you won't be entitled to any SF.

Every uni can make its own decision about your fee status, so their decision might not be the same as SF's. Always check direct with SF to discuss your individual circumstances.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.