Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What's everyone's predictions for the poetry exam? I'm hoping for The Ruined Maid or Give!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they're likely to come up as they have never appeared before. What kind of question do you think they'll ask about The Ruined Maid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11owolea)
    Yeah, they're likely to come up as they have never appeared before. What kind of question do you think they'll ask about The Ruined Maid?
    I have a feeling they'll repeat a poem just because they did last year with My Last Duchess. I mean it's the last year with this and the number of poems that haven't come up has been narrowing so yea :/ Personally, I really hope that Ozymandias or Medusa come up

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think at least one will be repeated- I just hope its one I can do well on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by febuardo99)
    I have a feeling they'll repeat a poem just because they did last year with My Last Duchess. I mean it's the last year with this and the number of poems that haven't come up has been narrowing so yea :/ Personally, I really hope that Ozymandias or Medusa come up
    Ozymandias or medusa would be a god send

ReputationRep:
    Seriously hoping for Ozymandias, it's the only poem I've revised for If the Ruined Maid crops up, I won't be too happy. I always struggle to write much about it...

ReputationRep:
    I have a strong feeling that Ozymandias will come up and Medusa! Anyone have an idea what the theme might be on or what to compare them to?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzzymarsh)
    I have a strong feeling that Ozymandias will come up and Medusa! Anyone have an idea what the theme might be on or what to compare them to?!
    Medusa you can compare to Les Grands Seigneurs because both poems have unexpected take on relationships, both involving black humour. Also both are driven by their extended metaphors, medusa: myth of medusa is a metaphor for jealous women, Les Grands seigneurs: extended metaphor for courtly love.
    Medusa uses (big word) paradoxical metaphors like "bullet tears", bullet showing she'd want to harm her husband but "tears" showing she is still vulnerable to him. So a big theme from this that can be analysed in depth is her husband still having control over her emotions, the poem could be interpreted as a cry for help.

Ozymandias can easily be compared to My Last Duchess or The river God because they are about power, they all have a one sided distinctive voice and are seen taking advantage or controlling people.
    Rhyme is used in ozymandias like 'decay' and 'away' to suggest an end to his power, a fall from grace. As well as the iambic pentameter gives it a regular sound, so the reader can anticipate that he will fall from power because it happens to everyone, even the most powerful; no one lives forever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by febuardo99)
    I will cry if Ozymandias comes up

ReputationRep:
    I like Ozymandias but I also love Give. I really hope that comes up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redcoats)
    I like Ozymandias but I also love Give. I really hope that comes up
    I hate Ozymandias I really hope Give, The Ruined Maid, Clown Punk or Medusa come up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurencacti)
    Medusa you can compare to Les Grands Seigneurs because both poems have unexpected take on relationships, both involving black humour. Also both are driven by their extended metaphors, medusa: myth of medusa is a metaphor for jealous women, Les Grands seigneurs: extended metaphor for courtly love.
    Medusa uses (big word) paradoxical metaphors like "bullet tears", bullet showing she'd want to harm her husband but "tears" showing she is still vulnerable to him. So a big theme from this that can be analysed in depth is her husband still having control over her emotions, the poem could be interpreted as a cry for help.

Ozymandias can easily be compared to My Last Duchess or The river God because they are about power, they all have a one sided distinctive voice and are seen taking advantage or controlling people.
    Rhyme is used in ozymandias like 'decay' and 'away' to suggest an end to his power, a fall from grace. As well as the iambic pentameter gives it a regular sound, so the reader can anticipate that he will fall from power because it happens to everyone, even the most powerful; no one lives forever.

Thank you so much this has really helped!!!! X

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.