Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 years old, in last year of college.
    I want to get into physiotherapy, however no university has accepted me, not even from ucas extra. (most deadlines for healthcare courses have been met, so they're not accepting anyone anymore as most are full)

I've applied for a healthcare assistant apprenticeship and have got accepted into it.

If you were in this position, would you accept the apprenticeship and go university the year after? (physiotherapy will no longer be nhs funded next year)

Or would you try your luck at clearing, sacrificing the apprenticeship offer as a result?

I really dont know what to do.

please help.

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Heres some extra info on the apprenticeship

Pay band 1, so 15.2k a year
    However, it is a level 2 apprenticeship. (level 3 apprenticeships are 18 months long)
    I would also get other qualifications from the apprenticeship, and 12 months of clinical work experience.

what do you think?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by unaManzana)
    Heres some extra info on the apprenticeship

Pay band 1, so 15.2k a year
    However, it is a level 2 apprenticeship. (level 3 apprenticeships are 18 months long)
    I would also get other qualifications from the apprenticeship, and 12 months of clinical work experience.

what do you think?
    I'm going to move your thread to healthcare as its more appropriate.
    However, nhs courses are very rarely in clearing especially with the funding stopping it will be more competitive than ever, so personally i think taking the apprentcieship could be a good option for you in this situation as you will then get a much stronger application so have a wider choice of places when you do apply
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Also, 15k a year is pretty decent so you could then go to uni with some savings which is always beneficial and i would bare in mind that its incredibly unlikely you'd ever get near paying off your student loans on a band 5 nhs salary. You'd be looking at i think £9 a month repayments once you leave uni.

The clinical experience will be very helpful to you personally, and will make your application for next year much stronger. I would take the apprenticeship.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.