Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm completely broke with no foreseeable resolutions and I don't know what to do. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've reach the end of the Uni year and my financial situation is absolutely dire. I've maxed a 1,500 overdraft because I lived in an expensive accomodation which wasn't covered by my loan and had to live off it. In addition this this I had various outgoings each month like food and mobile phone contract, gym, ocassional night out etc. I realize I should have been wiser with my money but ultimately I can't go back in the past and all I can do is learn from this so please dont't bother telling me i'm stupid.

My parents and closest family are all pretty poor, I come from a single parent household and my mums been out of work for approaching two years now because she had a nervous breakdown so i've been giving her money throughout the year and I literally can't even afford a ticket home because i'd have to buy it myself so I haven't been home much throughout the year.

I applied for a hardship loan a few months back and they gave me 90 pounds which is quite measly considering i've heard people getting 900 and my overdraft was still maxed at the time. I applied again but they refused as its something you only get once.

Regarding work, I actually have an interview lined up in a week but even if I get the job its going to take ages before im actually paid and im considering all manner of sordid things because I have reallly limited options right now and im running out of food and i've exceeded my overdraft. Any advice would be appreciated.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    If your overdraft is only 1500, then ask them to extend it. If thats all you owe then its not a lot.

Even £250 should make a big difference for you. Dont exceed your overdraft without talking to them otherwise you will get hit with big charges.
    If you go and see CAV or cintact stepchange the debt advice charity then you cna tell your bank you are sorting out your finances and taking it seriously.

Hardship funds often run out of money towards he end of the year plus theres a lot of myth about how much other people get.

Definitely ask them if you get the job. Swot up on basic interview technique.

If you run out of food or get near then contact a food bank.
    https://www.trusselltrust.org/get-help/find-a-foodbank/

Trussels are the biggest, but just google food bank and the city/town where you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atreus)
    I've reach the end of the Uni year and my financial situation is absolutely dire. I've maxed a 1,500 overdraft because I lived in an expensive accomodation which wasn't covered by my loan and had to live off it. In addition this this I had various outgoings each month like food and mobile phone contract, gym, ocassional night out etc. I realize I should have been wiser with my money but ultimately I can't go back in the past and all I can do is learn from this so please dont't bother telling me i'm stupid.

My parents and closest family are all pretty poor, I come from a single parent household and my mums been out of work for approaching two years now because she had a nervous breakdown so i've been giving her money throughout the year and I literally can't even afford a ticket home because i'd have to buy it myself so I haven't been home much throughout the year.

I applied for a hardship loan a few months back and they gave me 90 pounds which is quite measly considering i've heard people getting 900 and my overdraft was still maxed at the time. I applied again but they refused as its something you only get once.

Regarding work, I actually have an interview lined up in a week but even if I get the job its going to take ages before im actually paid and im considering all manner of sordid things because I have really limited options right now and i'm running out of food and i've exceeded my overdraft. Any advice would be appreciated.
    sold non necessity electronics and jewellery yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    sold non necessity electronics and jewellery yet
    I sold the speakers I had, all I have is a laptop now which i'd consider selling but it's pretty much the only thing of value I have and i need it for studies.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Can you borrow money off a friend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Can you borrow money off a friend?
    I suppose it doesn't help that most of my friends are in the same predicament, most borrow money off their parents but I'd feel bad asking for funds when we're all struggling. I guess I might ask though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atreus)
    I suppose it doesn't help that most of my friends are in the same predicament, most borrow money off their parents but I'd feel bad asking for funds when we're all struggling. I guess I might ask though.
    What degree did you study and where?

If you get a job you'll be fine.

Thousands of students are in a similar boat, many have family support however, which is why I'm concerned

Your bank should be able to give you a graduate loan when you graduate, see if they can offer you this option and tell them of your plans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by accno1)
    What degree did you study and where?

If you get a job you'll be fine.

Thousands of students are in a similar boat, many have family support however, which is why I'm concerned

Your bank should be able to give you a graduate loan when you graduate, see if they can offer you this option and tell them of your plans
    I have a job interview lined up and I actually should have one within two weeks but even then it'll take upto four weeks, i'm an undergraduate in my first year though so graduate loans are ages away. ]

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 27, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.