Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why my friends will vote remain in the EU Referendum, and my worries. watch

The reasons all my friends have used to leave the EU have scared me.

No joke, they're idiotic or selfish, even if they acknowledge the benefits of leaving.

One friend said that they're copying their parents, who want to remain, simply because they don't think there's a chance to get out. They think it's worthless, and a loophole will be found, so one might as well vote remain.

Another didn't even give a reason.

Another said the idea that everyone in the UK will earn £200 less on average than they do now. Despite the £55 million of membership fees we pay into the EU every day. Half of which is spent in the UK with an EU flag on it (a propaganda move.) We don't even get to decide what it's spent on. And it's not like we'd stop trading with them, when the EU has a trade deficit with us (they trade more with us than we do with them, so our relationship is more important to them than it is to us.)

Another said despite them believing we'd have a better economic situation if we left, they'd vote remain so they can more easily visit family abroad, and vice versa (selfish reason, jeopardising our economy and democracy like that.) They haven't considered that we can just make a deal with the EU to get visa-free access.

Another said they'll vote remain because they believe loads of universities in South Wales would close (despite only 2.3% (£690 million) of funding to higher education I think. Universities get more from charities, which is £1.1 billion I think. Again a selfish reason then.)

No joke, this is their reasons, and although I'm no expert, these are downright stupid.

And they're all smart people. It's like their listening to fear or just trying to find reasons to support the status quo.

I really do understand now why different politics will strain relationships.

And why would anyone want to compromise the greater democracy we have. We elect individuals who vote for and against, and can propose legislation in this country in the House of Commons, but we can elect individuals in the European Parliament in the EU, which can't even propose, repeal or amend legislation, making them the only parliament in the world that does that.

I know this sounds like slandering, but the reasoning does frighten me. I'm fine with people disputing the points I have to vote leave if I could, but could people please also comment on the context of this thread; the reasoning of my friends.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sorry but why are we meant to care why your friends want to vote for one side of a decision? They are free to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Sorry but why are we meant to care why your friends want to vote for one side of a decision? They are free to do so.
    he said the reason, because their reasoning is very mislead.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by B3ASTy)
    Still doesn't change my opinion nor the idea that they can still vote for whatever they want. Also the salary average and uni ones are completely valid and I don't see how the friend with family reasons is mislead. Also claims in them that the economy would be jeopardized if we stayed as if he knows the future.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously we don't know the context of your conversations with your friends - they may have many reasons for voting one way or the other that they didn't tell you, but you shouldn't disregard them for which side they support.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah mate Vote Leave!!! Best way to go

ReputationRep:
    Because their vote affects my life and the politics in this country?

I never disputed their democratic right to vote, so stop it with your ********.

Still doesn't change my opinion nor the idea that they can still vote for whatever they want. Also the salary average and uni ones are completely valid and I don't see how the friend with family reasons is mislead. Also claims in them that the economy would be jeopardized if we stayed as if he knows the future.
    I consider this the most important point because I hate hypocrisy. I absolutely loathe it. It is one thing in arguments I cannot stand, and the one thing I always try to minimise in myself.

"The salary average one is completely valid." Vikingninja

"Also claims in them that the economy would be jeopardized if we stayed as if he knows the future." Vikingninja

You hypocritical, inconsistent person. You presumably claim that I'm arrogant enough to know the future, yet that is exactly what you just done.

Anyway, as you are arrogant enough to know the future, as am I apparently, please give your reasoning as to why the average wage would drop by £200. I can give a plethora of reasons as to why it'd be better out of the EU, but I'm afraid of making this post too long at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Janse van Zyl)
    Yeah mate Vote Leave!!! Best way to go
    I can't, because I'm 17, while nigh all my friends would be 18 by the time of the referendum.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I can't even use anyone as a proxy vote. (One friend was convinced, but changed back to a remainiac.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B3ASTy)
    The OP is very mis-led too. He seems to think that if we leave, we will still be able to trade with the EU on the same terms as now.

The truth is that we most likely won't be able to. And our goods will have to adhere to the same standards - so we gain no advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The reasons all my friends have used to leave the EU have scared me.

No joke, they're idiotic or selfish, even if they acknowledge the benefits of leaving.

One friend said that they're copying their parents, who want to remain, simply because they don't think there's a chance to get out. They think it's worthless, and a loophole will be found, so one might as well vote remain.

Another didn't even give a reason.

Another said the idea that everyone in the UK will earn £200 less on average than they do now. Despite the £55 million of membership fees we pay into the EU every day. Half of which is spent in the UK with an EU flag on it (a propaganda move.) We don't even get to decide what it's spent on. And it's not like we'd stop trading with them, when the EU has a trade deficit with us (they trade more with us than we do with them, so our relationship is more important to them than it is to us.)

Another said despite them believing we'd have a better economic situation if we left, they'd vote remain so they can more easily visit family abroad, and vice versa (selfish reason, jeopardising our economy and democracy like that.) They haven't considered that we can just make a deal with the EU to get visa-free access.

Another said they'll vote remain because they believe loads of universities in South Wales would close (despite only 2.3% (£690 million) of funding to higher education I think. Universities get more from charities, which is £1.1 billion I think. Again a selfish reason then.)

No joke, this is their reasons, and although I'm no expert, these are downright stupid.

And they're all smart people. It's like their listening to fear or just trying to find reasons to support the status quo.

I really do understand now why different politics will strain relationships.

And why would anyone want to compromise the greater democracy we have. We elect individuals who vote for and against, and can propose legislation in this country in the House of Commons, but we can elect individuals in the European Parliament in the EU, which can't even propose, repeal or amend legislation, making them the only parliament in the world that does that.

I know this sounds like slandering, but the reasoning does frighten me. I'm fine with people disputing the points I have to vote leave if I could, but could people please also comment on the context of this thread; the reasoning of my friends.
    1. Half of the money we give to the EU isn't "spent in the UK with an EU flag on it". We quite literally receive half of it back directly. When you pay for £10 worth of stuff with a £20 note, do you kick off at Asda when they give you change because it's a "propaganda move"? You're also ignoring the HUGE economic benefits we receive from the EU. I don't understand why people repeat "WE GIVE THE EU 55 MILLION A DAY" over and over, but seem completely unable to comprehend that we can make money indirectly. EU immigration is massively beneficial to our economy, EU immigrants bring in more money in tax than they take out in benefits (the only group that takes more than they bring in are, of course, native Brits...). It's incredibly naive to think that just because we have a trade deficit, the EU will be our ***** once we leave. That's not how the real world works. Some people severely overestimate the UK's significance in the world.

2. Every country that's had a deal to become a part of the EU's free movement zone has had to follow their laws. They just didn't get a say in those laws.

3. 2.3% of funding is a lot of money. The EU also contributes a huge amount of money to research (and the UK receives more of that than any other country).

4. And yet those unelected officials have done more to protect the environment, consumers, and humanity than any elected British government ever has. Most leave voters couldn't even point out a piece of EU legislation that they don't like. I'm perfectly happy to have an unelected government making our laws, they're far better than any idiots this country has elected, and if they ever start to act against our interests then I'll support leaving, because we can leave whenever we want. All this about the EU coming to steal our democracy is scaremongering.

How are people listening to fear? They like the benefits that the EU brings and don't want to lose them. You're just trying to dismiss their views because, of course, anyone who disagrees with you has been coerced into it.

ReputationRep:
    Too harsh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orangebutterfly)
    Obviously we don't know the context of your conversations with your friends - they may have many reasons for voting one way or the other that they didn't tell you, but you shouldn't disregard them for which side they support.
    But I gave you the context. (I don't mean to be rude but it's true.)

ReputationRep:
    It worries me the number of turkeys there are voting for Chirstmas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    But I gave you the context. (I don't mean to be rude but it's true.)
    what i meant is that, you don't know everything that is going on in their lives - especially if they are not your good friends, their family or personal opinions that they haven't and don't want to share with you might have influenced their choice

ReputationRep:
    If you're worried about the votes of a few people you're probably insane
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Not sure why anyone should care why your friends vote one way or the other. Both sides will have people who dont understand the arguments.
    Its a free vote and they can choose whichever side they wish and for whatever reason.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

I never disputed their democratic right to vote, so stop it with your ********.

I consider this the most important point because I hate hypocrisy. I absolutely loathe it. It is one thing in arguments I cannot stand, and the one thing I always try to minimise in myself.

"The salary average one is completely valid." Vikingninja

"Also claims in them that the economy would be jeopardized if we stayed as if he knows the future." Vikingninja

You hypocritical, inconsistent person. You presumably claim that I'm arrogant enough to know the future, yet that is exactly what you just done.

Anyway, as you are arrogant enough to know the future, as am I apparently, please give your reasoning as to why the average wage would drop by £200. I can give a plethora of reasons as to why it'd be better out of the EU, but I'm afraid of making this post too long at the moment.
    Said that its a valid reason though obviously its not certain whether it would drop by £200.
    However if we left the EU then we would lose the ability to trade with the EU without tariffs. This would result in reduced profits with companies exporting goods to the EU as products cost more to send there and could lead to reduced trade with the EU which means less products sold in other countries. This would result in companies making cuts to keep their overall profit higher such as by reducing wages. Also products sent here to the UK to be sold by companies here (e.g. Tesco's) would also have tariffs put on them so products would have to either be more costly (oh wait people would buy them less) or cuts would again have to be made such as in wages.

Your point that I said was crap cannot be predicted because quite frankly we are not in jeopardy by the EU at the moment and we don't know if the EU will crash and burn in the future. These wages however easily can be predicted due to reasons which can actually be seen and so can be viewed as valid.

Also your first part of this post. So what? They vote for what they want. It affects everyone so everyone votes for what they want.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, there are some stupid justifications for staying, flying about, as if the Euro tunnel or travelling would stop or something. It's mad.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of people either side of the debate will vote IN/OUT for stupid reasons.

A girl I know said she was voting out because the EU was Taxing Tampons (They're going to be getting rid of that anyway).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.