The Student Room Group

Student T-test???

Hi,
Did the biology as paper today (AQA)
A question asked about a statistical test to compare two data sets
I put standard deviation, but a lot of people on the forum said the correct answer is the student t-test? I've never heard of that and it's not mentioned anywhere in my textbook?
Some clarification would be much appreciated
Thanks
Hasan
I put Standard Deviation as well, glad I am not allow not knowing what a T-test is.
Reply 2
If you look in the mathematical skills section of the specification, you are required to know about 3 statistical tests used to calculate the likelihood that any results we have obtained are due to chance. Standard deviation isn't a statistical test. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much information on statistical tests in any of the textbooks, so you're probably going to have to look online for the information you need - the specification states you need to know Spearmann's rank, the Chi squareds test and the Student's t-test.
I know Chi-squared and superman's rank, but not the other one
Reply 4
You use the t-test when you're looking to see whether there's a significant difference between two means. I think it's most likely that the answer was t-test because the question mentioned that the doctors were comparing the differences in the mean concentration of antibodies after 9 months in the 2 groups
Reply 5
yes hasan ahahahah

i put moving average ****sake
Reply 6
Original post by ashwins
yes hasan ahahahah

i put moving average ****sake

hhahaha hazzy put ELISA test lmao
Reply 7
Original post by ShenelW
If you look in the mathematical skills section of the specification, you are required to know about 3 statistical tests used to calculate the likelihood that any results we have obtained are due to chance. Standard deviation isn't a statistical test. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much information on statistical tests in any of the textbooks, so you're probably going to have to look online for the information you need - the specification states you need to know Spearmann's rank, the Chi squareds test and the Student's t-test.

Thanks, just looked it up and to my disbelief it was there! Shame we didn't get taught it in lessons, do you remember how many marks that question was? 1 or 2?
Reply 8
I'm pretty sure it was only worth 1 mark, but I've seen questions on statistical tests worth up to 4 marks so it'd definitely be a good idea to look over them for the next paper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending