Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is indoctrination so powerful? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Even intelligent people can be indoctrinated. Maybe because there told thousands of times by their parents from a very early age that things are fact?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    maybe the person doing the indoctrination have some next-level persuasion skills

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    maybe the person doing the indoctrination have some next-level persuasion skills
    nope.

ReputationRep:
    no offense but what's your deal with all these threads... we all know what you're getting at, you hate islam, enough
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Alien Warrior)
    nope.
    if you know the answer then why did you ask

ReputationRep:
    It's as simple as, indoctrination usually comes with a written code that people are penalised for breaking. No one wants adversity or persecution or prison or violence against them so they go along with the best of shizz or the maddest of shizz, whatever.

ReputationRep:
    I know right I'm wondering what the secret to life is with this guy. And nice Courier font.

ReputationRep:
    I know thats not why, doesn't mean i know.

ReputationRep:
    I know thats not why, doesn't mean i know.
    Shakespearean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    Shakespearean.
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Most people are products of their environment until they reach an age where they can rationally separate themselves from that environment, and the mindset that goes with it, if they choose to do so.

Sadly there are many religious people who are unable to do so due to being indoctrinated by someone with a Speech level of 100 and all the Perks that go with it, and therefore accept what they know as gospel (pardon the pun) without ever trying to know any different. Takes all sorts, I suppose. Whatever makes them happy.

That being said, forcing your religious beliefs on your children is all kinds of ****ed up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Most people are products of their environment until they reach an age where they can rationally separate themselves from that environment, and the mindset that goes with it, if they choose to do so.

Sadly there are many religious people who are unable to do so due to being indoctrinated by someone with a Speech level of 100 and all the Perks that go with it, and therefore accept what they know as gospel (pardon the pun) without ever trying to know any different. Takes all sorts, I suppose. Whatever makes them happy.

That being said, forcing your religious beliefs on your children is all kinds of ****ed up.
    Many people are unable to escape there indoctrination, it's sad really.

ReputationRep:
    Even intelligent people can be indoctrinated. Maybe because there told thousands of times by their parents from a very early age that things are fact?
    Because you're practically wiring the neurones in their brains.

Quite literally, they're a slave to their synapses like we all are.

I'm sure JordanL_can talk from experience.

ReputationRep:
    People are stupid and believe anything said by someone they perceive to be in a position of authority. Want proof? Look at the loyal labour/tory followers to see how many cling to every words their leaders say. The intelligent people are the ones who question everything and do research

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)

Coming from the Murdoch Media shill

:rofl3:

But to address the topic, it's because everyone is "entitled to their opinions" and it's taboo to tell people that they're wrong. If it was okay to tell people to stfu when they start talking about things they know absolutely nothing about, instead of nodding our heads and "respecting" the pure, steaming horse **** flowing from their mouths, people would stop forming stupid opinions.

We have this strange idea that you can't be wrong, and that the opinion of some random idiot is as valid as the opinion of a team of experts who study the topic being discussed. It's perfectly okay to be ignorant, so people wallow in it. You don't need to justify anything you say, because you're "entitled" to say it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Coming from the Murdoch Media shill

:rofl3:

But to address the topic, it's because everyone is "entitled to their opinions" and it's taboo to tell people that they're wrong. If it was okay to tell people to stfu when they start talking about things they know absolutely nothing about, instead of nodding our heads and "respecting" the pure, steaming horse **** flowing from their mouths, people would stop forming stupid opinions.

We have this strange idea that you can't be wrong, and that the opinion of some random idiot is as valid as the opinion of a team of experts who study the topic being discussed. It's perfectly okay to be ignorant, so people wallow in it. You don't need to justify anything you say, because you're "entitled" to say it.
    You're just naïve; you just think everyone's going to be transparent about their agenda.

Newsflash: They're not.

ReputationRep:
    You're just naïve; you just think everyone's going to be transparent about their agenda.

Newsflash: They're not.
    I don't think that at all. But empirical evidence doesn't have an agenda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    I don't think that at all. But empirical evidence doesn't have an agenda.
    Empirical evidence isn't entirely relevant.

ReputationRep:

There brainwashed

ReputationRep:

I was looking at this. Looks pretty interesting. Is it definitely fact?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.