The Student Room Group

Does not completing your exam decrease your grade?

My knowledge is completely fine when it comes to exams and I usually know and understand most of the content + context that they're asking about, time management however....I am completely s*** at it!

It's either that I write too much for one question (to make sure that I nailed it) but it just results in me not having enough time to do the rest of the questions on the paper, or it's that I get nervous over the time that I have left during the exam, which my nervousness makes me panic then my mind just goes into one heap of madness and results in me writing slower.

I've always had this problem ever since my GCSE's - no matter how much I do past papers, it's really rare for myself to finish my exams, and I'm scared that it would result in me getting bad grades because I've worked so hard for my AS this year so I want to get the grades that I fully deserve...

Any advice? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i see a bap fan :colone:
and lol dw we all get that struggle
I have friends who are like this, and they've applied for extra time because of it - I strongly recommend you do the same, it's too late now to work on time management
Reply 3
I am like this, and have been practicing past paper under very strict time conditions to simply get used to it (I try to complete a past paper under an 50 minutes).
(edited 7 years ago)
I know it's hard to stop answering a question when you want to go into detail or know more about it, but before the exam work out the timings for each exam. This is easier in exams with a few questions but maybe for things like science my exam was in modules so I figured out how much time needs to be spent on each section. If for a 5 marker you've worked out beforehand you can spend 5 minutes then ALWAYS STOP AT 5 MINUTES, if by not completing that extra 2 sentences you lose a mark or 2 then so be it. This means you'll get to attempt all the questions and it's likely that you'll have a couple of minutes to spare here and there because maybe on another question you didn't quite know the answer so in this time go back to questions and add on anything else. You're better off losing a few marks by not completely finishing questions than losing a whole load of marks by missing off the questions at the end which are usually worth more anyway.

If it's nerves like you said then go into the exam, read through all the questions and tackle them from best to worst or the other way round depending on which way you feel better with. Going from best to worst means that you build up on your confidence on the first few questions you answer and you'll be in the exam mood to attempt the more difficult questions. Also, it might be that the first few questions could trigger something and you might remember something intitially you struggled to come up with.

I know it's a bit long winded but hopefully it helps! I think my school has just drummed into me how to sit an exam it's just normal to me calculating times beforehand and actually sticking to them in the exam. Good Luck!
Reply 5
Original post by meediaabid
I have friends who are like this, and they've applied for extra time because of it - I strongly recommend you do the same, it's too late now to work on time management

You can get extra time due to having bad time management? Wtf

Is this a genuine thing? And is it too late for me to try it? How did your friends go about getting extra time (I've already done one exam and I managed really badly on keeping in time- I didn't even finish one of my essays because I was so stresses and nervous for having spent too long on the first section)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by animeamanda1412
i see a bap fan :colone:
and lol dw we all get that struggle

OML is that a fellow ARMY I see?
Or are my eyes deceiving me??
Original post by difeo
You can get extra time due to having bad time management? Wtf

It depends what the bad time management is caused by, the poster said they get nervous so this could be anxiety and might make them eligible for extra time. No harm in trying I guess.
Reply 9
Original post by Marzy-Sama
OML is that a fellow ARMY I see?
Or are my eyes deceiving me??

ofc im an ARMY mate, I'm the one who gives Jimin jams :wink:
ofc im an ARMY mate, I'm the one who gives Jimin jams :wink:

No bruv.
Jimins mine.
No bruv.
Jimins mine.

err excuse me bish
he's mine, his abs are mine
actually no f that, he's JUNGKOOK'S.....THEY'RE BLOODY FATED TO BE TOGETHER
err excuse me bishhe's mine, his abs are mineactually no f that, he's jungkook's.....they're bloody fated to be together

omg yasss
a fellow jikook shipper

#jikookforlife

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
omg yassa fellow jikook shipper#jikookfor life

Spoiler

YASS
btw watch this...

Spoiler

Im exactly the same. Both my Exams this week (English lit and maths) I ran out of time just because I write and process things slowly. Im not diagnosed as dyslexic or anything so I never thought id qualify for extra time. If I applied now do you think id be eligible and that they'd be able to put it in place in time for the rest of my exams?
I am exactly the same. I remember for one of my exams, I had to rush it and hardly wrote anything for one of the questions. Also to make things worse, I run out of space and had my hand up for 5 minutes until someone came. (Although to be fair it was quite a bad time for me to do it. It was when another exam was finished and they were being let out)

Im not really sure about tips. Maybe do other questions first (The shortest ones.)

The person who said apply for extra time: Isn't it too late?? Also how do you apply for it, I thought you had to have like a doctors note or something. Not just anyone can have it.
Original post by rosieridleyx
Im exactly the same. Both my Exams this week (English lit and maths) I ran out of time just because I write and process things slowly. Im not diagnosed as dyslexic or anything so I never thought id qualify for extra time. If I applied now do you think id be eligible and that they'd be able to put it in place in time for the rest of my exams?

Thats what im wondering as well. If anyone can do it and that you can just do it now?

Well although I don't really need extra time as I only have one exam and its s1. Although that would still help tbh.
Also for next year.
yass
btw watch this...

Spoiler

that was so beautiful
why isnt jikook real?!?!?!
T-t
that should've actually happened!
that was so beautiful
why isnt jikook real?!?!?!
T-t
that should've actually happened!

it is real mate
it happened irl

I think it would be insane if any exam board gave extra time on this basis and a smack in the face for all the other students who do exams in the set time.

OP you make it harder for yourself because you limit the amount of marks you can get. Part of doing an exam is giving an answer to match the time available and not the best answer possible. That is just self discipline. Practice does make perfect, so dont get into a mindset you cant, vecayse you can.

Quick Reply

Latest