Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE English Literature Poetry Exam tomorrow - is context needed? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm feeling okay about this exam, the only thing I really need to know is do we need to include context in our Section A Anthology question answer? I have a few contextual notes on some authors and forms of poetry related to the Relationships theme, but I'm not sure whether it is necessary to include them to get top band. Please help! Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    You can include them if you want, but they're not necessary. We only get marked on AO1 and AO2 for poetry (context is AO4)

ReputationRep:
    Hi mate. You absolutley DON'T need context tomorrow. If you check out the mark scheme or go onto mr bruff's youtube channel there is no element in the markk scheme that asks for context (the AO4 bit of the mark scheme)...

Of course that doesn't mean you would lose marks for including it now and then to help develop your answer!

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kireimirai)
    Hi there,

I'm feeling okay about this exam, the only thing I really need to know is do we need to include context in our Section A Anthology question answer? I have a few contextual notes on some authors and forms of poetry related to the Relationships theme, but I'm not sure whether it is necessary to include them to get top band. Please help! Thank you.
    Hi context isn't needed in terms of the poets backgrounds but it may help you when thinking of themes and messages which is needed. Also, showing that you understand forms of poems like sonnets can help you get marks for understanding and analysing structure.
    Mr Bruff's videos are really good especially for ambiguous poems like ghazal which I didn't even realise was a form of poetry.
    Good Luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Context is AO4 which isn't marked in the poetry

ReputationRep:
    Will reader response and author intention be needed ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlassyMarbles)
    You can include them if you want, but they're not necessary. We only get marked on AO1 and AO2 for poetry (context is AO4)
    Oh okay, thank you for the help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Janse van Zyl)
    Hi mate. You absolutley DON'T need context tomorrow. If you check out the mark scheme or go onto mr bruff's youtube channel there is no element in the markk scheme that asks for context (the AO4 bit of the mark scheme)...

Of course that doesn't mean you would lose marks for including it now and then to help develop your answer!

Hope this helps
    Thank you a lot, this is a big help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mizz.Unicorn)
    Hi context isn't needed in terms of the poets backgrounds but it may help you when thinking of themes and messages which is needed. Also, showing that you understand forms of poems like sonnets can help you get marks for understanding and analysing structure.
    Mr Bruff's videos are really good especially for ambiguous poems like ghazal which I didn't even realise was a form of poetry.
    Good Luck!!
    Mr Bruff seems to be very good! I'll definitely check out his videos. Thank you for the help and good luck wishes, likewise to you! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wacky01)
    Context is AO4 which isn't marked in the poetry
    I see, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franmorrisxxx)
    Will reader response and author intention be needed ???
    Yes, I believe so. Reference the author's intention and make a sentence, I would say, on reader response and you should be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.