The Student Room Group

New calculator

I am going to get a new calculator for maths. I'm doing all modules for Edexcel so it needs to cover as much ground as possible. I have been looking at Casio's FX-9750GII-LC-UH and FX-991ESPLUS-SB-UH. Can the graphical calculator carry out all of the same functions as the scientific calculator? Has anyone any experience in using either of these?
Reply 1
Casio FX 83 GT Plus

Tried and tested.
Reply 2
Original post by offhegoes
Casio FX 83 GT Plus

Tried and tested.

I have the 85 GT Plus, I think they're basically the same. I was just wondering if the additional functionality like finding PMCC, complex number calculations, matrix algebra, etc would be handy. I'm not sure about the graphical end of it.
Reply 3
Original post by atoner420
I have the 85 GT Plus, I think they're basically the same. I was just wondering if the additional functionality like finding PMCC, complex number calculations, matrix algebra, etc would be handy. I'm not sure about the graphical end of it.

I've never found a need for anything beyond a GT83! GT85 Plus should do you fine, unless your course coordinator or whoever says otherwise. Anything beyond that can be done more easily and cheaply on phone apps or a computer than a serious graphical calculator. Plus they're bulky, eat batteries for fun (in my experience anyway) and take some time to learn to use effectively.
Reply 4
Original post by offhegoes
I've never found a need for anything beyond a GT83! GT85 Plus should do you fine, unless your course coordinator or whoever says otherwise. Anything beyond that can be done more easily and cheaply on phone apps or a computer than a serious graphical calculator. Plus they're bulky, eat batteries for fun (in my experience anyway) and take some time to learn to use effectively.

Thanks for the advice :smile:

I think I might get the non-graphical one, Casio FX-991 ES I think This is primarily just to check over answers.

Quick Reply

Latest