Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically what I'm here to ask is whether or not you think universities will care about whether I've took the Decision Maths module in A level maths.
    I've (almost) completed my AS level maths with the D1 module, however I was wondering if it would enhance my application to study computer science if I did D2 (Decision 2) at A2.
    This is a big decision for me as my college doesn't teach this so I'll have to self teach it, so do you think this will help my application to study computer science at degree level?

ReputationRep:
    Most universities will accept that it wasn't offered at a2 level. However it depends on you course Brunel for instance and queen Mary do not require maths if you take a maths module of some Kind I.e Btec maths for it practitioners so ALevel maths of any kind should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Avoid decision maths at all costs, good universities hate it. It doesn't teach you anything useful other than how to dry run a few algorithms. You will learn a lot more from FP2/3, M2.

ReputationRep:
    doubt it'll make any difference tbh, wouldn't go as far to say "good universities hate it" though
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Doesn't matter, in all honesty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom__)
    Basically what I'm here to ask is whether or not you think universities will care about whether I've took the Decision Maths module in A level maths.
    I've (almost) completed my AS level maths with the D1 module, however I was wondering if it would enhance my application to study computer science if I did D2 (Decision 2) at A2.
    This is a big decision for me as my college doesn't teach this so I'll have to self teach it, so do you think this will help my application to study computer science at degree level?
    For the love of God, don't teach yourself D2! Universities won't care, and it's the worst maths module by far in my opinion. Unless you really love D1, stay away from it. If you aren't doing Further Maths, you could try self-teaching FP1 and maybe M1 and M2 for an AS, which would give you an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't realise this thread had so many replies, sorry.
    Next year I think I'll just go with S1 then, everyone is always talking about how easy that module is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom__)
    Didn't realise this thread had so many replies, sorry.
    Next year I think I'll just go with S1 then, everyone is always talking about how easy that module is.
    I took as maths with stats1 I got an B in stats and a U in everything else so yeah. P.s not unintelligent just had problems going on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.