Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I really want to be a vet but for my GCSES I will probably only get 5A*'s 3A's and a B. Is this enough and If I get A*A*AA at Alevel will this mean that I am more likely to get in. Also, I would like to go to Edinburgh if possible and I was wondering if anyone knew how competitive it is there and what GCSE'S usually get you in.
    Thanks!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Mizz.Unicorn)
    Hello, I really want to be a vet but for my GCSES I will probably only get 5A*'s 3A's and a B.Is this enough?
    Nothing 'only' about those grades. Vet school GCSE requirements are here. So you likely meet all of them, depending on what your B subject is.

If I get A*A*AA at Alevel will this mean that I am more likely to get in.
    A Level Requirements

Since you're doing your GCSEs at the moment it is very hard to speculate about A Level grades, however those (predicted) grades will make you eligible to apply to any UK vet school. At their open day in 2014 I was told by an admissions tutor that they don't value A* over A. I would also advise doing three A Levels instead of four.

Also, I would like to go to Edinburgh if possible and I was wondering if anyone knew how competitive it is there and what GCSE'S usually get you in.
    Thanks!!
    Estimates for this vary (and it depends where you come from since there's a separate number of places available to Scottish and EU, and Rest of the UK applicants), but if I recall correctly it is somewhere around the 15% mark.

I ultimately ended choosing a different vet school, but I got an offer with 3A* 11A (and 1 C :ninja: Dammit French). As you can see GCSEs aren't the be all and end all of your application. A Levels are of much greater importance, as are other factors such as work experience (the long summer after yr 11 is a great time to start getting placements down) and your personal statement.

As a sidenote, Edinburgh is amazing but I would advise against getting your heart set on one vet school. You can make up to four applications per year, and you only need one offer! Do some research and visit some open days to help you decide on other places to apply so that you don't risk putting all your eggs in one basket.

Hope that helped. Best of luck If you want more advice I would recommend checking out the vet forum (there's a link in my signature), there's a few helpful articles there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Nothing 'only' about those grades. Vet school GCSE requirements are here. So you likely meet all of them, depending on what your B subject is.

A Level Requirements

Since you're doing your GCSEs at the moment it is very hard to speculate about A Level grades, however those (predicted) grades will make you eligible to apply to any UK vet school. At their open day in 2014 I was told by an admissions tutor that they don't value A* over A. I would also advise doing three A Levels instead of four.

Estimates for this vary (and it depends where you come from since there's a separate number of places available to Scottish and EU, and Rest of the UK applicants), but if I recall correctly it is somewhere around the 15% mark.

I ultimately ended choosing a different vet school, but I got an offer with 3A* 11A (and 1 C :ninja: Dammit French). As you can see GCSEs aren't the be all and end all of your application. A Levels are of much greater importance, as are other factors such as work experience (the long summer after yr 11 is a great time to start getting placements down) and your personal statement.

As a sidenote, Edinburgh is amazing but I would advise against getting your heart set on one vet school. You can make up to four applications per year, and you only need one offer! Do some research and visit some open days to help you decide on other places to apply so that you don't risk putting all your eggs in one basket.

Hope that helped. Best of luck If you want more advice I would recommend checking out the vet forum (there's a link in my signature), there's a few helpful articles there.
    Thank you so much! I live near London so I'm also considering closer university's. Thanks again!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.