Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    --

ReputationRep:
    Stop getting emotional over some stupid advert (before you say anything, I am a person of colour and I honestly did not care at all)

How did the black guy even agree to being in that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrueDetective01)
    Stop getting emotional over some stupid advert (before you say anything, I am a person of colour and I honestly did not care at all)
    Who's getting emotional?

(Original post by Lemonsponge)
    Yeah, that was my initial thought too.

ReputationRep:
    Bwahahahaa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemonsponge)
    If I was going to take a guess, it would one character: $

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RivalPlayer)
    Saw this advert from China today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq-I0JRhvt4

I think the advert accurately portrays modern Chinese attitudes towards people with darker skin tones. The belief that having darker skin is dirty and undesirable and fair skin is attractive, clean and therefore desirable is no secret in China yet I'm still surprised that the makers of this detergent advert have no problem explicitly portraying this distinction.

Thoughts?
    Good ad!

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was quite cringeworthy and inappropriate. Apparently the black guy was misinformed about what the advert was about. But overall, the message was ignorant and made me uncomfortable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RivalPlayer)
    Saw this advert from China today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq-I0JRhvt4

I think the advert accurately portrays modern Chinese attitudes towards people with darker skin tones. The belief that having darker skin is dirty and undesirable and fair skin is attractive, clean and therefore desirable is no secret in China yet I'm still surprised that the makers of this detergent advert have no problem explicitly portraying this distinction.

Thoughts?
    F*cking hell. What a world we live in.

ReputationRep:
    Freedom of expression

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.