The Student Room Group

BY1 WJEC legacy paper 2016?

Did anyone sit the BY1 legacy paper today, how did you find it?
Yes, I messed up on the golgi body question and water potential question for sure. what about you?
Original post by LydiaIsaacs
Yes, I messed up on the golgi body question and water potential question for sure. what about you?

same here, was it a lysosome or digestive enzymes they were talking about? i kept changing my answer:colonhash:and the water potential one was horrible, i messed up completely:frown: what did you write for the graph for the percentage of light transmission? also did you do the mitosis essay?
Original post by chemstudent314
same here, was it a lysosome or digestive enzymes they were talking about? i kept changing my answer:colonhash:and the water potential one was horrible, i messed up completely:frown: what did you write for the graph for the percentage of light transmission0? also did you do the mitosis essay?

I wrote lysosomes but apparently it was lipids/proteins? It really confused me. The haemolysis question? I wrote about water miving into the red blood cell down a water potential gradient by osmosis but I didn't talk about the cell lysing. I did the immobilised enzymes question
Original post by LydiaIsaacs
I wrote lysosomes but apparently it was lipids/proteins? It really confused me. The haemolysis question? I wrote about water miving into the red blood cell down a water potential gradient by osmosis but I didn't talk about the cell lysing. I did the immobilised enzymes question

ah, that probably makes sense but it was confusing, yeah that one i said it was isotonic which is 99.9% wrong, oh right, what did you write for the vacuum question? and the whole banana question?
Banana question was all about how those techniques denature an enzyme to prevent it catalysing the reaction which caused it to turn brown. Citric acid was to do with conditions being too acidic causing an imbalance of H+ ions and therefore disrupting ionic bonding in the enzyme changing its shape etc. Freezing I wrote about lack of kinetic energy? but im unsure if thats what they wanted, could be to do with a break in hydrogen bonds. The vacuum part was a bit twisted as there is no direct relation to enzymes there, the answer was in the question as it said the browning effect only occured when the puree reacted with the air so i basically touched on that. I found a lot of the questions in the paper were a bit stretched out and twisted but not an overly difficult paper. I loved the 10 marker for mitosis, the 5 marker filling in the table and 6 marker labelling a plant cell.
Original post by samgreen97
Banana question was all about how those techniques denature an enzyme to prevent it catalysing the reaction which caused it to turn brown. Citric acid was to do with conditions being too acidic causing an imbalance of H+ ions and therefore disrupting ionic bonding in the enzyme changing its shape etc. Freezing I wrote about lack of kinetic energy? but im unsure if thats what they wanted, could be to do with a break in hydrogen bonds. The vacuum part was a bit twisted as there is no direct relation to enzymes there, the answer was in the question as it said the browning effect only occured when the puree reacted with the air so i basically touched on that. I found a lot of the questions in the paper were a bit stretched out and twisted but not an overly difficult paper. I loved the 10 marker for mitosis, the 5 marker filling in the table and 6 marker labelling a plant cell.

I wrote about the active site repelling the substrate due to the H+ charges, and for the vacuum I talked about oxygen because at the stem of the question they mentioned oxidase enzymes so I just said as oxygen is the substrate and it is not present (idk if thats right), so no enzyme substrate complexes can form, i wrote less kinetic energy for the freezing one too because of inactivation of the enzyme, but yeah idk i liked the labelling one too, hate water potential questions in general so that was bad:/ but the mitosis one was okay but i didnt talk about interphase, i put leaf down as a tissue which of course is wrong, what did you write for the facilitated diffusion graph? i couldnt think of it at all
Original post by chemstudent314
same here, was it a lysosome or digestive enzymes they were talking about? i kept changing my answer:colonhash:and the water potential one was horrible, i messed up completely:frown: what did you write for the graph for the percentage of light transmission? also did you do the mitosis essay?

See I wrote secretory enzymes and how exocytosis occurs and they are secreted out of the cell :-( I also ended up writing that leaf was a tissue when it's an organ ugh and various other issues
Original post by AngelicAmazing
See I wrote secretory enzymes and how exocytosis occurs and they are secreted out of the cell :-( I also ended up writing that leaf was a tissue when it's an organ ugh and various other issues

i wrote how exocytosis occurs as well but I was confused whether the process would the same with the cell wall

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending