Turn on thread page Beta

Need help on a sentence.... watch

ReputationRep:
    For this form I have to write a little brief paragraph about me, and it regards my cooking skills (dont ask why ).

I want half of the sentence to basically say:

because I really like my own cooking skills .

But within this sentence I want to alter it to add the word "enthusiastic" or "enthusiasm" (with regards to enjoying cooking). Any suggestions as to how I can change this sentence?

ReputationRep:
    because I am an enthusiastic and accomplished cook.

ReputationRep:
    not bad, but I wanna sorta include "cooking skills". And im not a cook

ReputationRep:
    You're being very mysterious about what this sentence is for. Do you just like your cooking skills or are you actually good?

ReputationRep:
    ucas innit!

ReputationRep:
    hahaha ok it is sorta for ucas. It's for my self-express "paragraph" for my accomodation form.

The full sentence is:

I prefer self-catering because I really like my own cooking skills.

or

I prefer self-catering because I really like cooking

but I want to slip in the word enthusiastic or enthusiasm in relation to that sentence. Not sure how though.

ReputationRep:
    Why not just, "I prefer self-catering because I am an enthusiastic cook and would do my very best not to destroy the kitchen"?

ReputationRep:
    How about this?

I prefer self-catering as i enjoy the challange of cooking meals for myself and others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Why not just, "I prefer self-catering because I am an enthusiastic cook and would do my very best not to destroy the kitchen"?
    hey i like that. Do u think 'destroy the kitchen' is a bit cheeky? it sounds like Im not taking the form seriously.....i

Valen i like yers too but unfortunately ive already said "i enjoy" 3 times.

ReputationRep:
    In general, it's not a good idea to use humour or sarcasm in personal statements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    In general, it's not a good idea to use humour or sarcasm in personal statements.
    There is always the chance that the person who reads your personal statement will be someone with absolutely no sense of humor whatsoever, and if you put anything like that in it will just throw your application away.

How about:
    I prefer self-catering as i find the challange of cooking meals stimulating.

ReputationRep:
    It doesnt sound like its for the personal statemnt but for an accomodation form - sue humour if you want they're not goona be offnded, thouhgt the I will try not to destroy the kitchen one was the best

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't use the word enthusiasm... It seems a little cliched to me, and I don't think they'd believe you if you overly enthuse about cooking. It's not a personal statement, so surely they don't need to know how much you love cooking, just that you'd prefer self catering.

How about something like "As an accomplished cook who prefers a less rigid mealtime structure, I feel that self-catering accomodation would benefit me much more."..? Needs a little work I think, but it doesn't sound false; it simply states the preference and a reason for it (assuming that is your reason...) without going overboard.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.