Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I have an interview soon for a post in the foundation programme in the NW England Deanery. I was wondering if anyone currently working there could provided me with some information about what it's like there?

How did they find the training? Info about the level of support you receive.. Opportunists to develop (teaching) etc.

My specialty interest is Neurology, possibly Emergency medicine too. What hospitals are well known for these specialties? Any centers greatly involved in Neuro research ?

What are the major teaching hospitals in the deanery?

Is it better to train in DGH or Teaching hospitals?

Any links for more info would be great too!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxAlexCam)
    My specialty interest is Neurology, possibly Emergency medicine too. What hospitals are well known for these specialties? Any centers greatly involved in Neuro research ?
    You're interested in neuro and yet have not heard of the walton centre?

ReputationRep:
    I've also got an interview coming up (clinical scenario format) for that region as well, specifically for an F1 spot.

I was wondering if you had your interview yet and if so, could you share your experience if you don't mind?Thank you in advance! Best of luck!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by plrodham1)
    You're interested in neuro and yet have not heard of the walton centre?
    Not that I'm interested in Neurology but I've never heard of the Walton Centre either. I don't think the OP should be too ashamed! IMO mostly people only ever get to hear of their local centres of excellence. Being interested in having a neuro FY job isn't the same as Wiki'ing all large British neurology centres and dreaming of working in the Walton Centre one day.
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MaxAlexCam)
    Hey all,

I have an interview soon for a post in the foundation programme in the NW England Deanery. I was wondering if anyone currently working there could provided me with some information about what it's like there?

How did they find the training? Info about the level of support you receive.. Opportunists to develop (teaching) etc.

What are the major teaching hospitals in the deanery?

Is it better to train in DGH or Teaching hospitals?

Any links for more info would be great too!

Thanks!
    So the North West has merged with Mersey; your two major neuro centres are now Salford and the Walton Centre (which is based on the Aintree University Hospitals site). All hospitals in the deanery will have A&E departments but if you want to see a wider breadth of cases in EM, you should aim to go to the larger hospitals (ideally working at a major trauma centre).

You should really have a look at the NW deanery page for more information. There are pros and cons to working at both DGHs and larger teaching hospitals. There is generally more support available at the larger hospitals with staffing generally better to cope with the workload. However, others argue you get more experience and training opportunities working in a DGH such as Warrington. You should look at what it is you want to achieve in your foundation training and apply accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyalimers)
    So the North West has merged with Mersey; your two major neuro centres are now Salford and the Walton Centre (which is based on the Aintree University Hospitals site). All hospitals in the deanery will have A&E departments but if you want to see a wider breadth of cases in EM, you should aim to go to the larger hospitals (ideally working at a major trauma centre).

You should really have a look at the NW deanery page for more information. There are pros and cons to working at both DGHs and larger teaching hospitals. There is generally more support available at the larger hospitals with staffing generally better to cope with the workload. However, others argue you get more experience and training opportunities working in a DGH such as Warrington. You should look at what it is you want to achieve in your foundation training and apply accordingly.
    Thanks Kyalimers! good to know !

ReputationRep:
    Preston is the Major Trauma Centre for Lancashire and South Lake District. We have lots of helicopters coming in, especially when the sun is out as it has been! Might be one to consider if EM is an interest...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.