Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Been thinking alot about uni options recently and i still dont know what to do
    Really stuck between doin a
    Maths, Physics or engineering degree.
    And also unsure about which uni id wish to go anyone able to tell me a little bit more about these courses?
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsMPhys)
    Been thinking alot about uni options recently and i still dont know what to do
    Really stuck between doin a
    Maths, Physics or engineering degree.
    And also unsure about which uni id wish to go anyone able to tell me a little bit more about these courses?
    Thanks in advance
    Is your primary goal to become an engineer? if yes do engineering, if no dont do engineering as thats the point of the degree

Between maths and physics is a bit harder. Do you want to find out about lots of areas of maths and why maths works too (ie lots of proofs etc),maths applied to lots of areas or do you want application to how the world, universe, and things around us etc works at a fundamental level and explore it with not only with mathematical but experimental techniques too. Though with straight physics you'll only cover the maths relevant to physics so little to no pure maths or areas of applied maths that dont relate to physics

I too once wondered which to choose out of the 3 things you listed (though mine was specifically chemical engineering) and I didnt chose engineering as I didnt want to be an engineer really, I ended up doing theoretical physics as I love physics and also wanted lots of maths (I do around 50/50 split between physics and maths in years 2 and 3 with as much of that maths being pure or applied as I like)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)

I too once wondered which to choose out of the 3 things you listed (though mine was specifically chemical engineering) and I didnt chose engineering as I didnt want to be an engineer really, I ended up doing theoretical physics as I love physics and also wanted lots of maths (I do around 50/50 split between physics and maths in years 2 and 3 with as much of that maths being pure or applied as I like)
    Hmm how did you get so much choice with level of maths you do? Yo doing a joint maths and phys degree or or does your uni hav a lot more optional maths modules?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm how did you get so much choice with level of maths you do? Yo doing a joint maths and phys degree or or does your uni hav a lot more optional maths modules?
    What do you mean by level of maths? If you mean by level, am I taking it at the same time as a regular maths student then, I take the same modules as a maths student in the same year, so in year 2 I take 50 credits of 'level 2' maths modules which are chosen from a list (this is the same list as for the year 2 maths students)

I do theoretical physics, my uni doesnt have a lot of optional maths modules for everyone but if you do theoretical physics you are allowed to take the same maths as the people doing a maths degree (though a bit less of it as I take physics modules too but it works out about 50/50 for year 2 and 3 if you want but you can chose to go a bit heavier on either side)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    What do you mean by level of maths? If you mean by level, am I taking it at the same time as a regular maths student then, I take the same modules as a maths student in the same year, so in year 2 I take 50 credits of 'level 2' maths modules which are chosen from a list (this is the same list as for the year 2 maths students)

I do theoretical physics, my uni doesnt have a lot of optional maths modules for everyone but if you do theoretical physics you are allowed to take the same maths as the people doing a maths degree (though a bit less of it as I take physics modules too but it works out about 50/50 for year 2 and 3 if you want but you can chose to go a bit heavier on either side)
    Which uni is that if you dont mind me asking

ReputationRep:
    uni of leeds

ReputationRep:
    Another point I can make is, say you're struggling to decide to choose between maths and physics then do a maths and physics degree where you have the option to change to straight maths or physics if you want to at any point in first year as this means you really can have a good taste of both

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.