Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

Currently, I am a year 12 student who want to take geography as a major course in University. Mainly in UK. I have to start sending my application to University soon after the holiday.

As title said, I just finished all my end of year exam, which will be going to account most of my predict grade and I think I am going to get some where around 29~30. Perhaps 31. Hopefully 32. :/
    I know it's not that good...

I am keep searching a list of University on UCAS. But I find really hard to decide which University I should send my application.

These are the Uni I am considering now.

Greenwich
    Brighton
    Aberystwyth
    Dundee
    Leicester
    Chester

If you know any of these universities and reputation of these universities then I
    appreciate if you can give me some advices.

Also, Is there any good university that's not listed above and has good reputation on geography and requirements that meet to my predict grade?

Sorry about my English error btw. I know I got many grammar mistakes.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    UEA might be a good option it's 32 for the BSc course and 33 for the BA, it's also ranked as 21st in the UK for geography and 14th overall.

Aberdeen is ranked 23rd at the moment and it requires 32 points with a 5 in HL geography (same for UEA).

Newcastle: 32-35 points with Geography at Higher Level grade 6 or above. Standard Level Mathematics or Mathematical Studies required at grade 4 if not offered at Higher Level.

Reading: 32 points overall including 5 in Geography at higher level.

Southhampton: 34-32 points, with 17-16 at higher level.
    As an insurance Hull (with a foundation year) only wants 28.

Exeter: for its Penryn campus it list entry requirement as 36-32 and I think it offers a foundation course

You could also try applying to do a foundation year, which may get you into a better uni with less points. Overall, pushing yourself in the next year to get that 32 points could really open up your choices to a lot more universities so I would aim to do that over the summer and apply to one of those at least but the unis you mentioned also seem like good options in your current situation. I would also recommend the Unistats website for comparing and finding courses: http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Search.../Subjects/AtoZ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meredythclaire)
    UEA might be a good option it's 32 for the BSc course and 33 for the BA, it's also ranked as 21st in the UK for geography and 14th overall.

Aberdeen is ranked 23rd at the moment and it requires 32 points with a 5 in HL geography (same for UEA).

Newcastle: 32-35 points with Geography at Higher Level grade 6 or above. Standard Level Mathematics or Mathematical Studies required at grade 4 if not offered at Higher Level.

Reading: 32 points overall including 5 in Geography at higher level.

Southhampton: 34-32 points, with 17-16 at higher level.
    As an insurance Hull (with a foundation year) only wants 28.

Exeter: for its Penryn campus it list entry requirement as 36-32 and I think it offers a foundation course

You could also try applying to do a foundation year, which may get you into a better uni with less points. Overall, pushing yourself in the next year to get that 32 points could really open up your choices to a lot more universities so I would aim to do that over the summer and apply to one of those at least but the unis you mentioned also seem like good options in your current situation. I would also recommend the Unistats website for comparing and finding courses: http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Search.../Subjects/AtoZ
    Thank you for your advice. The fact that you researched ranking and detail of foundation year is really kind and helpful. Thank you so much.

As you suggested UEA seem to be very good choice. So far I'm only looking for BSc degree, so I think I am going to send application to UEA as my first choice.

I might have an insurance problem with foundation course and needs to have bit more research but it is really helpful advice for me to consider to have foundation year.

Since I still have time during summer holiday, I will try to find out bit more about foundation course. Well first, I have to finish my Extended Essay tho xd

Again, your advice is very useful. Thank you for spending your time on answering my question and research.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    If you decide to make one of your choices a foundation year make sure you research the finance side of things. My friend put it down, then when he did less well than he had hoped on his IB was told that he couldn't go because of her nationality (Swiss). Not sure why. It certainly messed things up for him.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.