Ask us your questions on our new guidance for medical students on professional values

Watch
General Medical Council
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi TSR,

I’d love to get your early feedback on some brand new guidance we’ve published today. It’s called Achieving good medical practice and will support you to become a good doctor.

If you answered our consultation on student professional values earlier this year, you’ll be familiar with the guidance already – huge thank you if you did! Now you can read the finished article.

As medical students you’ll know that every doctor has to act in a way that maintains the public’s trust in the profession. And because you come into contact with patients and members of the public during your studies and placements, you must too.

Our new guidance sets out the standards you have to meet by giving practical advice on issues like:

 Recognising your limits and asking for help when you need it
 Being honest when you don’t know something
 Raising concerns about patient safety, dignity or comfort
 Protecting patient confidentiality
 Telling your medical school if you have a health condition and seeking the right support
 Using social media to express your views while respecting other users

If you’re due to start medical school this September, this might sound daunting – but you’re not alone. Your medical school is responsible for giving you the opportunities to learn, understand and practise the standards expected of you. It must also give you extra support and guidance if there are any concerns about your professional behaviour. So, we’ve also published new guidance for medical school staff today – Professional behaviour and fitness to practise.

The guidance comes into effect on 1 September and I’d be happy to help you get to grips with it before then. Do you have any questions about the advice given in the guidance? Is there anything we could do to make it more useful for you?

Feel free to share your thoughts and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
Tanita
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.46%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.13%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
5.13%
I need help with my personal statement (66)
42.31%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (38)
24.36%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.92%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (12)
7.69%

Watched Threads