The Student Room Group

Aqa gcse - food technology 2016

Scroll to see replies

And no method about how to make the product in the design question, but there were a load of big markers. I thought there would be like 1 8/10 marker but the others like 4-6 markers, alongside 1 and 2 markers but clearly AQA didn't know what to put.
What was the question about micro nutrients? Can you remember any others??
Original post by KatieLees
What was the question about micro nutrients? Can you remember any others??

It asked for two micronutrients in eggs & their function in the body (I said Vitamin A for healthy eyes & iodine for something most likely wrong)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
is there going to be an unofficial mark scheme???/
Original post by GCSEStudent386
It asked for two micronutrients in eggs & their function in the body (I said Vitamin A for healthy eyes & iodine for something most likely wrong)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tough question :frown:
Reply 25
Original post by Chantell.Os
I wrote the same thing, i was hoping for an A* but I think I got an A
but compared to previous year that exam was hell!!

Do you remember the questions in the exact order?
Original post by HonGCSE

I think I could probably name the questions in order if you want me to for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HonGCSE

No, sorry my mind goes blank as soon as I leave the exam hall.
I'd like you to :smile:
Nah u can get a U in the exam and still get A* man #nandos
It's Aight boo. U can get a U in the exam and still get an A* overall. #nandos
Reply 31
Yes can someone please remind me with the questions again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Section A

Q) Give an example of an animal protein source. [1 mark]
Q) Give an example of a vegetable protein source. [1 mark]
Q) Why is protein needed as a part of a balanced diet?
Q) Design question - design criteria included:

- Be high in protein suitable for vegetarians
- Must be able to be frozen
- Must include a flavoured sauce
- Be from one or more cultures
[12 marks]

Q) Describe quality control checks that would be used to hygienically prepare your chosen product. [4 marks]
Q) Describe quality control checks that would be used to produce your chosen sauce to a high quality. [4 marks]
Q) Explain how you would prepare and package your product ready for the freezer. [4 marks]
Q) Explain how freezing your product would affect the quality of your chosen product. [4 marks]

Section B

Q) Suggest one aspect of the cake product, and give a reason why, it would not be suitable for a large family with children. [2 marks]
Q) Suggest two aspects of the cake product that would make it suitable for consumers with busy lifestyles, giving a reason for your choice. [4 marks]
Q) Why do manufacturers choose to carry out product analysis when designing new products? [3 marks]
Q) Describe how to carry out product analysis. Give examples of questions you would ask in your answer. [8 marks]

Section C

Q) From the ingredients & method listed above, complete the design criteria for the fruit scone. [4 marks]
Q) Explain how you could adapt the method & ingredients given to satisfy consumer preferences such as

- A light, well risen golden scone
- A range of savoury scones
[8 marks]

Q) How would you adapt the scone to make it suitable for health conscious consumers? [6 marks]

Section D

Q) Explain why bread from other countries is becoming increasingly popular in Britain. [6 marks]
Q) Explain why the following are needed in the production of bread:

- Strong flour
- Salt
- Vitamin C tablets
- Kneading
[8 marks]

Q) Explain why, even when enough yeast is used, bread may not rise. [6 marks]

Section E

Q) From the processes listed below, match them with the description given and give an example of a dish that you know where this process occurs. [8 marks]
Q) Give examples of two micronutrients found in eggs & state their function in the body. [4 marks]
Q) Suggest causes for why the following issues may have occured at the café:

- Fishcakes fell apart when cooked
- Egg custard tarts are burnt on top but not set in the middle
- Chocolate muffin cake has a dry, closed texture
[9 marks]

Section F

Q) Explain how computers are used when designing labels for food products. [4 marks]
Q) Discuss the advantages & disasvantages of using computers in large scale food production. [6 marks]

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Section A

Q) Give an example of an animal protein source. [1 mark]
Q) Give an example of a vegetable protein source. [1 mark]
Q) Why is protein needed as a part of a balanced diet?
Q) Design question - design criteria included:

- Be high in protein suitable for vegetarians
- Must be able to be frozen
- Must include a flavoured source
- Be from one or more cultures
[12 marks]

Q) Describe quality control checks that would be used to hygienically prepare your chosen product. [4 marks]
Q) Describe quality control checks that would be used to produce your chosen sauce to a high quality. [4 marks]
Q) Explain how you would prepare and package your product ready for the freezer. [4 marks]
Q) Explain how freezing your product would affect the quality of your chosen product. [4 marks]

Section B

Q) Suggest one aspect of the cake product, and give a reason why, it would not be suitable for a large family with children. [2 marks]
Q) Suggest two aspects of the cake product that would make it suitable for consumers with busy lifestyles, giving a reason for your choice. [4 marks]
Q) Why do manufacturers choose to carry out product analysis when designing new products? [3 marks]
Q) Describe how to carry out product analysis. Give examples of questions you would ask in your answer. [8 marks]

Section C

Q) From the ingredients & method listed above, complete the design criteria for the fruit scone. [4 marks]
Q) Explain how you could adapt the method & ingredients given to satisfy consumer preferences such as

- A light, well risen golden scone
- A range of savoury scones
[8 marks]

Q) How would you adapt the scone to make it suitable for health conscious consumers? [6 marks]

Section D

Q) Explain why bread from other countries is becoming increasingly popular in Britain. [6 marks]
Q) Explain why the following are needed in the production of bread:

- Strong flour
- Salt
- Vitamin C tablets
- Kneading
[8 marks]

Q) Explain why, even when enough yeast is used, bread may not rise. [6 marks]

Section E

Q) From the processes listed below, match them with the description given and give an example of a dish that you know where this process occurs. [8 marks]
Q) Give examples of two micronutrients found in eggs & state their function in the body. [4 marks]
Q) Suggest causes for why the following issues may have occured at the café:

- Fishcakes fell apart when cooked
- Egg custard tarts are burnt on top but not set in the middle
- Chocolate muffin cake has a dry, closed texture
[9 marks]

Section F

Q) Explain how computers are used when designing labels for food products. [4 marks]
Q) Discuss the advantages & disasvantages of using computers in large scale food production. [6 marks]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woah! How do you do that?!
Original post by KatieLees
Woah! How do you do that?!

I don't even know, I just re-read the questions a lot so they kind of stuck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
You are a life saver thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HonGCSE
You are a life saver thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No bother!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wrote about product disassmbly and analysing different components and I think I mentioned using a computer aswell to analyse nutritional values?

The exam was all over the place, with 6 markers everywhere & section A completely different... my hopes for an A* are over👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg totally agree 😥
Reply 38
I wrote the exact same as you 😞 why was this exam so all over the place? AQA have been awful so far this year!!
Reply 39
So for the product analysis I wrote about disassembly which sounds like it was right considering everyone else's answers but I also wrote a little bit about sensory testing at the end just in case and other things. Would I lose marks for that or wouldd it be ignored?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending