Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm pondering partaking in the positivity posting pandemonium

So I'm posting some motivational posters! :woo:

Edit: click on the images to get full size. I forget how awful TSR is with images. I uploaded them all when I made the thread, but apparently you need to do them a maximum of one at a time per edit...

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Why is the sum of the digits of any multiple of 9 also add up to a multiple of 9, Mr Magic Maths Man.

ReputationRep:
    oh my grammar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melancholy)
    Why is the sum of the digits of any multiple of 9 also add up to a multiple of 9, Mr Magic Maths Man.
    A whole positive number has the form An(10^n) + An-1(10^(n-1)) + ... + A1(10) + A0 where An, An-1,..., A0 are between 0 and 9 (they are the digits of the number; this is just the normal decimal representation)

This can be rewritten as

An(10^n - 1) + An + An-1(10^(n-1) - 1) + An-1 + ... + A1(10 - 1) + A1 + A0
    = An(10^n - 1) + An-1(10^(n-1) - 1) + ... + A1(10 - 1) + A0 + A1 + ... + An

It can be shown by induction that 10^k - 1 is divisible by 9 for any whole number k. Clearly 10^1 - 1 = 9 is, and if 10^k - 1 is then 10^(k+1) -1 = 10(10^k) - 1 = 10(10^k - 1) + 10 - 1 = 10(10^k - 1) + 9 which is clearly divisible by 9 since both the numbers being added are

So we see then that everything before the A0 + A1 + ... + An in the above sum is divisible by 9. So the whole number is divisible by 9 if and only if A0 + A1 + ... + An is. This is just the sum of the digits.

ReputationRep:
    Don't lie m8.

(Original post by Melancholy)
    Just use modular arithmetic

ReputationRep:
    Just used it and it didn't work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.