Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am considering applying for this course with Spanish, but I'm not as keen on literature as I am on language; hence why I am looking into this degree rather than the plain modern languages one. Could you tell me how much of the course is focused on literature? I'm guessing that it varies depending on the language studied, and so I have also considered Russian; does anybody know anything about the structure of the Russian course for languages and linguistics?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stringer8ell)
    Hi, I am considering applying for this course with Spanish, but I'm not as keen on literature as I am on language; hence why I am looking into this degree rather than the plain modern languages one. Could you tell me how much of the course is focused on literature? I'm guessing that it varies depending on the language studied, and so I have also considered Russian; does anybody know anything about the structure of the Russian course for languages and linguistics?

Thanks.
    If you did Spanish and Linguistics you would have to take 2 literature papers in First Year (the rest Linguistics).

For Finals you would then choose a minimum of one Period Paper in Literature (covering a wide range of authors within a specific period). So you should be able to avoid studying too much literature if you really want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
    If you did Spanish and Linguistics you would have to take 2 literature papers in First Year (the rest Linguistics).

For Finals you would then choose a minimum of one Period Paper in Literature (covering a wide range of authors within a specific period). So you should be able to avoid studying too much literature if you really want to.
    Right, that sounds good, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    My friend does the German + Linguistics course and as his German was very good before applying, in the end, he pretty much didn't have to attend the language classes and was left having to study literature, which isn't of much interest to him. After the first year, he is now switching to PPL because he wasn't really gaining anything from the German part of his degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stringer8ell)

Thanks.
    I started a joint honours (French and Spanish) but gave up Spanish pretty early on: however, I have a fairly good idea of what would be involved. Oxford's modern language courses are heavily literature-focused. Students taking French with another subject (e.g. linguistics) must take two literature papers, short texts and narrative fiction. The first is about critical analysis of specific passages from a text (there are six in total) and the second requires the writing of an essay (there are four texts for these paper, all fairly long). These papers are compulsory for everyone studying French- the structure for Spanish is very similar (it may even be identical).

If you don't enjoy reading *at all* (if you actively dislike it) it may not be for you. *****THAT SAID***** please do not discount studying it for this reason! I wasn't keen on literature when I started but now I am interested in doing an MPhil and doctorate in renaissance literature. The first year is fairly comprehensive and it gives you a really great opportunity to find out what you are interested in. From second year on you have great freedom to choose what you study, sometimes even being allowed to create your own custom topic (with your tutor's agreement) and write an extended essay of 6-8,000 words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeenAusstudent)
    That's really insightful for someone keen to pursue french. May I ask what some examples of texts within the french component of the course are? Is it exclusively poetry or are plays and novels also studied?

More generally, how did you find the application process, specifically the interview? Is there any good way to prepare? Are we expected to have a good grip on all the vocal presented in the poems we are given on the day?

Sorry for all the questions
    We study a mixture of genres: this year, it's been poetry, theatre, essays, and novels. You can choose to stop studying a genre after first year if you dislike it.

The interview was nowhere near as bad as I had expected it to be. The tutors were very relaxed so it made speaking much easier. For preparation, I would go through the personal statement and make sure I had a pretty thorough knowledge of everything I had mentioned (no matter how insignificant it may seem- I was asked about the distinction between personal and political freedom). Other than that, I don't really think there's much you can do.

You get a dictionary (which for you would be Spanish-English) while preparing the poem, so don't worry about that too much. During the interview I was asked to recite the first stanza of the poem and was then asked about its structure in English and in French (although only for a short while, and using quite basic language). Don't be afraid to mention the glaringly obvious: during my Spanish interview I spent a good two or three minutes waffling about how Neruda's use of language was slightly different in one line only to eventually work out how it differed from the rest of the poem- it was longer.

I hope you do apply for languages, I honestly don't think there's anywhere better to study in the world. The resources (especially the Taylorian) are brilliant. And no problem about the number of questions- I wish I had someone to quiz before my own interviews!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.