The Student Room Group

AQA AS FP1 Further Pure 1 15th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE=Physics Optimist;65813665][QUOTE=LaurenLovesMaths;65812917]That's what I did but I just got -1, and then through doing something weird I got -8i?! I don't know hahaha.

I'm hoping for 2 out of 5.

Same here, I think you'd get a fair few method marks for subbing w & w* into the equation because there was a lot of simplifying and multiplying out brackets there aha
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths
[QUOTE=Physics Optimist;65813665]

Same here, I think you'd get a fair few method marks for subbing w & w* into the equation because there was a lot of simplifying and multiplying out brackets there aha

Too much simplifying for my liking 😄
Original post by bheaton
Is anyone else taking MS2B on Tuesday ?

I am too
Original post by sam_97
Did anyone get (32,2)(\frac{\sqrt 3}{2},2) for the 6 mark matrices question?

We had to find the coordinates of the point which is mapped onto (0,4)(0,-4), after being transformed by A2\mathbf{A^2} and then reflected in the line x3y=0x - \sqrt{3}y = 0. So, using the information from earlier question parts, this is how I arrived at my answer (sorry about the LaTex):

[12323212][4001][xy]=[04][2322312][xy]=[04] \begin{bmatrix} \frac{1}{2} & -\frac{\sqrt 3}{2} \\[6pt] - \frac{\sqrt 3}{2} & -\frac{1}{2} \end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix} 4 & 0 \\[6pt] 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix} x \\[6pt] y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\[6pt] -4 \end{bmatrix} \: \therefore \: \begin{bmatrix} 2 & -\frac{\sqrt 3}{2} \\[8pt] - 2 \sqrt 3 & -\frac{1}{2} \end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix} x \\[6pt] y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\[6pt] -4 \end{bmatrix}

If we multiply the two matrices together, we get 2x32y=02x - \frac{\sqrt 3}{2}y = 0 and 23x12y=4- 2 \sqrt 3x - \frac{1}{2}y = -4.

By solving these equations simultaneously, we can then show that x=32x = \frac{\sqrt 3}{2} and y=2y = 2.

I thought the question was "Find the coordinates of this point AFTER the stretch occurs then the reflection" not the other way round, other people seem to be confused on this too
Original post by ollycostello
I thought the question was "Find the coordinates of this point AFTER the stretch occurs then the reflection" not the other way round, other people seem to be confused on this too

No you had to find the coordinates of P before
Original post by OturuDansay
No you had to find the coordinates of P before

Oh well, likely get 2/6 method marks (sometimes up to 4/6 if very common mistake)
[QUOTE=Physics Optimist;65814145][QUOTE=LaurenLovesMaths;65813997]

Too much simplifying for my liking 😄

Same haha, so many 'i's and 'i2's everywhere haha
Anyone made an unofficial mark scheme? :smile:
Original post by sam_97
Did anyone get (32,2)(\frac{\sqrt 3}{2},2) for the 6 mark matrices question?

We had to find the coordinates of the point which is mapped onto (0,4)(0,-4), after being transformed by A2\mathbf{A^2} and then reflected in the line x3y=0x - \sqrt{3}y = 0. So, using the information from earlier question parts, this is how I arrived at my answer (sorry about the LaTex):

[12323212][4001][xy]=[04][2322312][xy]=[04] \begin{bmatrix} \frac{1}{2} & -\frac{\sqrt 3}{2} \\[6pt] - \frac{\sqrt 3}{2} & -\frac{1}{2} \end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix} 4 & 0 \\[6pt] 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix} x \\[6pt] y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\[6pt] -4 \end{bmatrix} \: \therefore \: \begin{bmatrix} 2 & -\frac{\sqrt 3}{2} \\[8pt] - 2 \sqrt 3 & -\frac{1}{2} \end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix} x \\[6pt] y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\[6pt] -4 \end{bmatrix}

If we multiply the two matrices together, we get 2x32y=02x - \frac{\sqrt 3}{2}y = 0 and 23x12y=4- 2 \sqrt 3x - \frac{1}{2}y = -4.

By solving these equations simultaneously, we can then show that x=32x = \frac{\sqrt 3}{2} and y=2y = 2.

Yeah man
Think I got [2(root3), 2]
Original post by ollycostello

can someone check if my answers were right please:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4168081
These are my answers can you check them please?

Original post by bheaton
I got this aswell :biggrin:

did you get these answers? in the following thread?

Reply 73
Original post by callumbwg
Yeah man

Nice one. I'm pretty sure that is the answer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending