Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    apparently, it's not -that- great if you shadow doctors...it's better to volunteer as well? But what exactly do you do, when you volunteer? What kind of work do you do?
    Also, if you volunteer, do you do it daily for several days/weeks or once a week, but for several months/years?

ReputationRep:
    Shadowing is great, don't get me wrong on that! It's a really good way to get an insight into the medical system. It shows your interest in what goes on, and in some cases, initiative in finding places. However, they do also value commitment, and you can't show that by following a doctor for a week. Volunteering can be anything - some hospitals have a shop or something you could work in, or there's the usual old people's home or hospice. I did a lot of work with Brownies, myself, and loved it!

It's best to do even just a couple of hours a week, but over a long period of time. Don't just do it to get into med school though, do it because you enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    So how would I go about finding some voluntary work? It doesn't seem to work when i call them...
    umm also, during my work experience(i did a week of orthopaedic surgery) I was with a SHO(cause the consultant i was supposed to be with was away that week), and he's reallllly nice...and when i asked if I can come back next week(this week!), he said that he has to ask the consultant...luckily, he said yes...but the consultant he got permission from is going to be away next week, so i was wondering if we're allowed to do work experience with SHOs, not consultants??? The SHO i know is also moving to a different hospital next month(and switching from orthopaedics to ENT)...would it be too weird if i ask him if i can do work experience with him at that hospital, lol? Maybe it doesn't sound weird...but i just feel like im stalking him...well, i am :rolleyes:
    Also, after doing this work experience for a week, i think orthopaedics is reallllly interesting, but i should probably get experience in other fields, right? erm...which would you recommend? He said he'll get me some in gastroenterology...but what else could i do? Is endocrinology interesting? I wonder what that's like...and is dermatology a good idea?....hmmm what about oncology? That has always interested me, but ppl keep saying it's too depressing and i should pick something else...but you need to show that you can deal with depressing situations, right?

ReputationRep:
    I spent most of my work experience shadowing SHOs - the consultants appeared rarely and were usually too busy doing admin stuff to have me around. It depends on the hospital regulations more than the specific people, I should think. You're not alone in stalking SHOs though - I had several people ask me if I could get the phone number of the doctor I was shadowing

I can't possibly recommend one particular department to you, whatever grabs your interest. They're not really going to care, to be honest. I did mine in Emergency Dept, and loved it; I couldn't get any more than that in hospitals so you are very lucky.

As for voluntary work, think about what you want to do, then look for local places and phone them up, say you're interested in volunteering and what could you do? Guiding is a good thing to do though - they do like that!

ReputationRep:
    I did shaddowing (Vascular, transplant (renal), podiatrist, GP) and volunteering (hospice, ward 1-2 nights a week for 9 months - until we moved to London).

In the hospice environment there are so many things you can do: ward, day care centre, driving, reception.

Other volunteering hotspots are old peeps homes.

Also check out the Millennium Volunteers scheme - the 'new' DoE

www.millenniumvolunteers.gov.uk

ReputationRep:
    Volenteering at a hospice, looks particularly good.

ReputationRep:
    jeez, i can't wait till tomorrow! whoo hoo...yeah, i think im gonna ask him about doing ENT at the other hospital with him...after all, it's a different speciality and hospital, and he's the only doctor i know..well, almost...
    umm today we had to write formal thank you letters to our work experience "employers"...i wrote one to my employer(but with cc to other doctors) eventhough i've only been with him for about 2 hours....i also got my SHO chocolates and a separate thank you card...umm it's no big deal, but because umm.... anyways, it seems too obvious to me! lol...all of my friends signed their cards with "love..." (to SHOs, not consultants!)...is it ok if i do that?
    lol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_girl)
    jeez, i can't wait till tomorrow! whoo hoo...yeah, i think im gonna ask him about doing ENT at the other hospital with him...after all, it's a different speciality and hospital, and he's the only doctor i know..well, almost...
    umm today we had to write formal thank you letters to our work experience "employers"...i wrote one to my employer(but with cc to other doctors) eventhough i've only been with him for about 2 hours....i also got my SHO chocolates and a separate thank you card...umm it's no big deal, but because umm.... anyways, it seems too obvious to me! lol...all of my friends signed their cards with "love..." (to SHOs, not consultants!)...is it ok if i do that?
    lol :rolleyes:
    If you're writing it to your SHO, and you got on well with him, then writing "love" is perfectly acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    then writing "love" is perfectly acceptable.
    ...Helenia reveals how she has suceeded in medicine...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    ...Helenia reveals how she has suceeded in medicine...
    Well how on earth do you think I got into Cambridge? Very short skirt...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Well how on earth do you think I got into Cambridge? Very short skirt...
    And that's for the female tutors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    And that's for the female tutors
    Hmmm, given that she herself was wearing a leather jacket and a fairly short skirt, I don't think she'd have been that impressed :rolleyes:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.