Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA English Literature (Relationships) - who did the 'Brothers' question?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Who did the question about 'Brothers' as opposed to 'To His Coy Mistress', and what did you compare it too?!

(I compared with 'Nettles')

ReputationRep:
    I compared it to Quickdraw. I said that 'Brothers' was a sacred moment remembered by silly things such as the ridiculous shirt he wore that is what keeps memories alive and I said that Quickdraw and brothers both have a climax in the moment in Brothers it was the guy forgetting his bus pass and in Quickrdraw it was the piercing of the heart. I think I did well I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Me! I compared it with The Manhunt. I honestly don't like To His Coy Mistress and was looking forward to In Paris With You to come up. So I did Brothers instead. These were my points:
    - compared the titles, Brother suggests a strong bond and hence the poet suggests that significant moments are best shared with those you have a strong bond with. In contrast, the title The Manhunt suggests distance and by doing this the poet is suggesting that significant moments are best shared together rather than alone.
    - both the poems suggest that significant moments are vital and valuable. The Manhunt showcases that through small moments, you can make a lot of progression, then i analysed the imagery. Brothers suggests that some moments can be life changing and I analysed and explored the last line.
    - Structurally, Brothers practically lacks rhyme and hence conveys that the situation is rather ordinary and therefore significant moments do not need to be grand and big, but in fact its the small things that we share, are in fact important. In contrast, The Manhunt has rhyming couplets suggesting that best memories are shared as a couple and the use of half-rhyme suggests that moments shared are important in a relationship cause through difficult times, it perhaps helps you understand why the relationship is worth keeping and fighting for. Also, the repetition of 'only then' kinda slows down the whole progression; this could suggest that moments together shared, slow down time and time in fact lasts forever but also, significant moments can be over a period of time.

I didn't get a conclusion done so I was gutted but I just hope I've done enough considering the fact Monday's paper for me didn't go too well.

ReputationRep:
    I did 'Brothers' and 'Harmonium'. I spoke about the misleading titles suggesting positive relations, only to then be poems about a growing distance. I also spoke about sibilance and analysed a few quotations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RinDhillon)
    I did 'Brothers' and 'Harmonium'. I spoke about the misleading titles suggesting positive relations, only to then be poems about a growing distance. I also spoke about sibilance and analysed a few quotations.
    same lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.