The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iLukeAi
Didnt know grade boundaries were released a day before??

I didn't until the other day. Congrats on the grades also!
Original post by Do it Right
Wow!!! Congratulations! Was that what you were expecting?

Yeah.
Original post by Enigmatically
Got straight A*s.
ICT 0417 - A* (90%)
FL English 0500 - A* (90%)
Biology 0610 - A* (95%)
French 0520 - A* (95%)
Physics 0625 - A* (96%)
Mathematics Without Coursework 0580 - A* (96%)
Additional Mathematics 0606 - A* (96%)
Chemistry 0620 - A* (98%)

Wow omg well done congrats. That is amazing. Did you expect these grades for yourself if you don't mind me asking like how did you feel you did in the exams at the time?
Grade boundaries....hmmm😕
Well done amazing results
Do u know the grade boundaries for Additional Maths FMSQ
When I wrote the exams I was pretty confident but for some like English (predicted a 94), ICT (predicted a 94) and Mathematics (predicted a 98-100) I knew I had missed by a slight margin. Grade thresholds confirmed this but honestly I had though I had gotten 2 As in ICT and English, but God saved me and I Gucci-clutched it. What is to be will be, you can't change anything by fretting. But you can try praying.
how comes everyone ive seen who does igcse do less gcses? like 8 or is that normal or what
Original post by metellaest
What I want / am predicted: all A*s (gulp)

What I have:

Edexcel Maths: A*

What I think I'll get:

Edexcel IGCSEs:
Physics: A*
Chemistry: A*
Biology: A*
French: A

CIE:
History: A*
English Literature: A*
English Language: A

OCR:
Greek: A*
Latin: A/A*
Additional Maths: A (Max Grade A)

Be happy with 9A*s (and an A in French + Additional Maths)

Most worried about: English Language...

When you said you do Additional Maths for OCR, are you talking about FSMQ?
[QUOTE=AdeptDz;66945428]how comes everyone ive seen who does igcse do less gcses? like 8 or is that normal or what

I've also wondered that aswell! And is IGCSE more "exceptional" as its international?
Original post by Real_jenn
I've also wondered that aswell! And is IGCSE more "exceptional" as its international?

Apparently, but i checked online and theres mixed opinions..
some say all the private schools are doing it because its an easy A, and less coursework and the exams are modular so you can resit them.. hence the increase in A grades after switch to igcse
Some say private schools do it because its harder and seen as better
Some say public state schools are starting to do it because its easier
and some say public schools are starting to do it because its not fair that the private kids get a better qualifcation or osmething, so i have no idea
I'm in London tonight, so I don't know if I'll be back for the midnight countdown.. :biggrin: Feel free to take over if I'm not back in time!
What I Think I'm Going To Get

Maths - A
English Lang - A/A*
English Lit - A
Biology - B/A
Business Studies - B
Chemistry - A*
History - A
Physics - C
RE - C
Spanish - A/A*

What I actually got:

I got an A in maths last year but thats it
Just to clarify: IGCSEs are easier qualifications sat by the less able students in some comprehensive schools. Initially, though, they were sat by international students. Most grammar schools tend to undertake GCSEs.
Original post by Jamie Vardy
Just to clarify: IGCSEs are easier qualifications sat by the less able students in some comprehensive schools. Initially, though, they were sat by international students. Most grammar schools tend to undertake GCSEs.

False False False.

"Cambridge IGCSEs are tailored for a multi-cultural, multi-lingual audience in a way that UK GCSE examinations are not. Grade for grade they are aligned to the standards of the UK GCSE, and this has always been recognised as the case by ‘users’ of the qualifications. UCAS and Universities in the UK and overseas recognise IGCSE qualifications as equivalent grade for grade with UK GCSE qualifications. Whilst some Cambridge IGCSE teachers would suggest that some Cambridge IGCSE subjects are more demanding than their UK equivalents, this is a subjective perception and is not a view endorsed by Cambridge International Examinations."
(edited 7 years ago)

That's what I thought too because the lower sets in my year took igcse English and maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is because IGCSE has a Core segment for weaker students. The max you can get for Core is a C and it is really easy. The other segment, Extended, is much harder than GCSEs and you can get an A* as the maximum grade. I think the students at your schools took core.

bs.
They are usually taken by the generally 'smarter' private schools, and international students.

IGCSEs were introduced in 1988 and are internationally recognised qualifications. Candidates can sit IGCSE examinations all over the world. Offering over 70 subjects, IGCSEs are taken in over 120 countries. IGCSEs do not include coursework. Similar to GCSEs, they are perceived by some as academically more rigorous, and for this reason have recently been adopted by over 300 independent schools in the UK.
I really wish I could get an A in at least one GCSE, I've worked so hard. It'd be a dream

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sahil19
I'm in London tonight, so I don't know if I'll be back for the midnight countdown.. :biggrin: Feel free to take over if I'm not back in time!

so basically, you're allowing people to take over the throne tonight?
Original post by XLittleSparrowX
I really wish I could get an A in at least one GCSE, I've worked so hard. It'd be a dream

Hopefully, a dream come true

Latest