Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    So I'm taking a gap year and I'm thinking of doing A level maths during it so I can apply for better unis. Do unis take gap year a levels into consideration and if so what maths exam board should I hit up?


    I don't think it matters much to unis, in general, where you were taught an A level. What matters most is your grade. Also, if you mention that it was based on self-study entirely, with so and so resulting grades, then that shows you are capable of independent study. Which is an advantage and all the more reason to take you on.

    Maths is something one can study alone, as an A level. Written subjects too. Science subjects would involve complications as practicals are required (that has changed though, I think).

    Right now I study A level maths under Edexcel. My iGCSEs (which I self-studied for) were all Edexcel so I'm very familiar with the exam board. The rest of my A level are OCR and AQA. I actually have no idea how A level maths under other exam boards is so I guess you will need to research and pick what suits you most.
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni


Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:



Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.