Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey quick question,

I'm from the UK, today i bought Doom, didn' exactly find it very good (my opinion), just constant killing etc some other people enjoy that except me. I enioy games like The Last of Us with a gripping storyline.

Am i able to get a refund from Game? It's in perfect condition and the only thing is i opened it. I paid £39.99 for a pre-owned one. I just bought it today aswell like 5-6hours ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hefty11)
    Hey quick question,

I'm from the UK, today i bought Doom, didn' exactly find it very good (my opinion), just constant killing etc some other people enjoy that except me. I enioy games like The Last of Us with a gripping storyline.

Am i able to get a refund from Game? It's in perfect condition and the only thing is i opened it. I paid £39.99 for a pre-owned one. I just bought it today aswell like 5-6hours ago.
    Whack it on eBay for £35.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shreddingfish92)
    Whack it on eBay for £35.
    So i'm not able to get my £39.99 back from game?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Hey quick question,

Did you choose the game by yourself or did a member of staff help or decide for you?

They do not accept software returns unless there was something faulty with it. You have no rights becayse its not your type of game. You could have copied it for all they know and you will not get your money back.

You could try and get an exchange but have an appropriate story, such as buying it as a gift, but they already had it. Point out the fact your receipt shows you only bought it today. You might get away with that but they arent obliged to do that.

http://help.game.co.uk/returns-refunds/

ReputationRep:
    Make something up such as it being a gift for someone who already had it, and you'd like to buy something else instead.

They aren't obliged to refund you unless it is faulty. BUT they are human beings and you should try appealing to their human nature... Put on a sad face.
    Offer something also, like swapping it for a different game then and there - of course choose one you know you'll like.

But no, that's not a good enough excuse.

ReputationRep:
    GAME seal their secondhand games, so it will be obvious it has been opened and thus used. They'll probably smell through any excuse and just say no because it has been opened and thus used.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Whether you are able to get a refund is really down to you and the staff member you speak to. They aren't obliged to refund the product since there's nothing wrong with it. You also can't just say you changed your mind since the game has been opened and used.

Go and try but honestly your best bet is to whack it on eBay as shreddingfish92 suggested. You won't get all your money back but you'll quite likely get a sale. This is something you have to deal with when buying a game. You may not like it and if you don't it's tough. Not an awful lot you can do. Not to say there aren't dishonest ways around it that can result in an exchange or refund. But in terms of a general just "not being happy, give me my money" there's little you can do.

ReputationRep:
    Hey quick question,

either get £30-35 on ebay or sell it to them for £20-25 if you're lucky

ReputationRep:
    So i'm not able to get my £39.99 back from game?
    I doubt it, unless the disc somehow became damaged and you have a good poker face.

Seriously, just put it on eBay or trade it in for Uncharted 4 if you haven't got that already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shreddingfish92)
    I doubt it, unless the disc somehow became damaged and you have a good poker face.

Seriously, just put it on eBay or trade it in for Uncharted 4 if you haven't got that already.
    Cheers to everyone replying; yeah i might just put it up on ebay; how would i go on with sending it through post etc postage fees etc

Do you think charging £35 is reasonable?

ReputationRep:
    youl get store credit, not a refund

Cheers to everyone replying; yeah i might just put it up on ebay; how would i go on with sending it through post etc postage fees etc

ReputationRep:

Buy a jiffy bag (padded envelope) from WHSmith or somewhere and send it recorded delivery through the royal mail (go to a post office), should cost about £3.

Others are on eBay for around 37 at the moment so if you did £35 delivered it'd probably sell straight away.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the store or whether Game have cut out that kinda thing, because I have known some will refund just because a game sucks, but only to avoid a drama in the store and probably while glaring at you and *****ing after you've gone. So yeah just sell it unless you're 6-foot and wanna be awkward.

Buying games below RRP (say £35), playing them then then selling them for however much it goes for is the way to go. Even if you liked the game, you can get your money back, sometimes make money. Paid to play games, what a deal!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.