Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muscle "gives way" when doing lateral raises Watch

ReputationRep:
    So all of a sudden when doing lateral raises on my left side I can't do them anymore. Even lowering the weight significantly (from 8 to 5) doesn't help.

But now whenever I try to start the movement fairly early on there is like a pop or I can feel this movement in my delts/shoulder and I have to stop.

I have no idea what changed, I used to be able to do them fine (right side is also fine). There is no pain either, a little when I feel that movement but I stop tensing and it's gone.

Could I have just overdone it on a previous session? Rest it out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    So all of a sudden when doing lateral raises on my left side I can't do them anymore. Even lowering the weight significantly (from 8 to 5) doesn't help.

But now whenever I try to start the movement fairly early on there is like a pop or I can feel this movement in my delts/shoulder and I have to stop.

I have no idea what changed, I used to be able to do them fine (right side is also fine). There is no pain either, a little when I feel that movement but I stop tensing and it's gone.

Could I have just overdone it on a previous session? Rest it out?
    I'm no expert but you should probably let them rest for at least a week. Make sure you stretch before and after as well; ie to loosen the rotator cuffs. I'd probably drop the weight as well for the time being, and build it back up again. That way you'll start to realise whether the problem has disappeared or whether it's still persisting.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly over training. Is this the first exercise you are doing? I know many people that do bench press before shoulders and can't do **** on shoulders after as they arn't benching properly. Try starting with shoulders on shoulder day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoahMal)
    Possibly over training. Is this the first exercise you are doing? I know many people that do bench press before shoulders and can't do **** on shoulders after as they arn't benching properly. Try starting with shoulders on shoulder day
    It was the first exercise actually today. I think I know what caused it now. On Monday I used a machine for shoulders, and I bet I raised it way too high. With dumbbells it's always easy to tell once you hit horizontal and IIRC that machine kinda made you push further, stupid ****, so I probably went too hard, too high then.

(Original post by Lighfy)
    I'm no expert but you should probably let them rest for at least a week. Make sure you stretch before and after as well; ie to loosen the rotator cuffs. I'd probably drop the weight as well for the time being, and build it back up again. That way you'll start to realise whether the problem has disappeared or whether it's still persisting.

Good idea, I would rest til Monday anyway now, probably try then with a low weight!

ReputationRep:
    It was the first exercise actually today. I think I know what caused it now. On Monday I used a machine for shoulders, and I bet I raised it way too high. With dumbbells it's always easy to tell once you hit horizontal and IIRC that machine kinda made you push further, stupid ****, so I probably went too hard, too high then.

Good idea, I would rest til Monday anyway now, probably try then with a low weight!
    I would never lock out all the way, Always go 80 percent to full lock out aswell as 20 percent to full stretch as that is the perfect zone.

ReputationRep:
    I would never lock out all the way, Always go 80 percent to full lock out aswell as 20 percent to full stretch as that is the perfect zone.
    Yea, exactly, I even remember when I started out watching youtube video on good form on this...ah well hopefully a week's rest will do the trick. If not I am soon off on holiday for a month anyway so plenty of recovery.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, exactly, I even remember when I started out watching youtube video on good form on this...ah well hopefully a week's rest will do the trick. If not I am soon off on holiday for a month anyway so plenty of recovery.
    Icepack should reduce the swelling and pain

ReputationRep:
    Icepack should reduce the swelling and pain
    That's the point, there isn't actually any pain or swelling. Just when I perform that upward motion on the shoulder (with weight, without it's fine too).
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    It's either too heavy for you, you're injured or your form is miles off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    It's either too heavy for you, you're injured or your form is miles off
    Useful.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Useful.
    Without a video of you doing it, how strong your other lifts are, it's impossible to be definite

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Without a video of you doing it, how strong your other lifts are, it's impossible to be definite

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Considering I said I used to be able to do this fine for some time, it really can't be two of those three.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Considering I said I used to be able to do this fine for some time, it really can't be two of those three.
    You can do something for a while and be doing it wrong the whole time or develop problematic form. You can also get weaker. If anything you're not injured if there's no pain or distinct lack of ROM in your shoulder joint

ReputationRep:
    It's your rear delts that are weak...

Everyone has strong front delts from benching and for u strong side delts from lateral raises.

Learn how to increase your rear delt strength and u will be ok

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.