Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My book gives this definition:
    Environmental factor that confers greater chances of survival to reproduction age on some members of the population

Doesnt make sense at all

ReputationRep:
    A selection pressure is a factor that has an impact on organisms, giving some an advantage in survival over others, as some are better adapted. It can be biotic (e.g. predation) or abiotic (e.g. temperature).

ReputationRep:
    Some condition that decides which organisms are best suited to live. Say the environment gets colder, therefore those with thicker fur are best suited to live.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Selection pressure is basically an external pressure that an organism faces to be selected (i.e. to not die) and therefore continue to reproduce and spread its superior genes.

So if the temperature (an abiotic factor) increases in the Arctic, the raised temperature acts as a selection pressure (it's an environmental pressure that will lead to selection of some organisms over others). In this case, rabbits with summer fur will survive whereas those that don't change their winter coat to a summer one won't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biologyquestions)
    My book gives this definition:
    Environmental factor that confers greater chances of survival to reproduction age on some members of the population

Doesnt make sense at all
    A selection pressure is a change in the environment that triggers natural selection and brings about variation in the species giving the organism an advantage in the changing environment.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 1, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.