Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Here's my situation: did my B.A.LL.B.(Hons) from India and moved to UK on student visa and almost done with GDL. Now i see myself having lot of options after GDL (non of them getting a job next year) which kind of made me befuddled. I have now choice to do either LPC(which i don't see relevance in doing because i am already a qualified Indian law graduate and therefore can appear in QLTS on side to be UK solicitor straight away but qlts route doesn't give me student visa to stay here) or LLM or Accoutancy(to go towards chartered accountant which i admire to become). Thing is, I am good in studies but not in English speaking skills and therefore i prefer working in Tax or accountancy fields in UK (assuming job description in these fields don't say 'high communication skills required'). And also, I came across LLM/ICSAGrad(univ of portsmouth) while researching. Any thoughts(apart from me heading back to India) ? Thank you.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by DanAnand)
    Here's my situation: did my B.A.LL.B.(Hons) from India and moved to UK on student visa and almost done with GDL. Now i see myself having lot of options after GDL (non of them getting a job next year) which kind of made me befuddled. I have now choice to do either LPC(which i don't see relevance in doing because i am already a qualified Indian law graduate and therefore can appear in QLTS on side to be UK solicitor straight away but qlts route doesn't give me student visa to stay here) or LLM or Accoutancy(to go towards chartered accountant which i admire to become). Thing is, I am good in studies but not in English speaking skills and therefore i prefer working in Tax or accountancy fields in UK (assuming job description in these fields don't say 'high communication skills required'. And also, I came across LLM/ICSAGrad(univ of portsmouth) while researching. Any thoughts(apart from me heading back to India) ? Thank you.
    How is a degree both LLB and a BA? Isnt it either one or the other? The fact you did the GDL would suggest it is a BA, but with the GDL it is now a qualifying degree.

If you did QLTS, then you need to think about why an English law firm would employ you? Wouldnt your experience be in Indian Law? You also need to find a sponsor , which costs a firm extra money and there are a wealth of UK lawyers, who have more UK legal knowledge.

Your issue imo is whether you can get an employer to sponsor you. If you get very good grades, then it might be possible.It might be easier in accountancy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.