Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Mental illness/medication watch

Announcements

Context - 21 years old, lifelong depression that has not previously responded to any form of treatment I have received or lifestyle change. Have not been to a doctor in the past 5 years until recently about it.

I was prescribed a medication that is actually a painkiller (for a problem with my elbows). By shear dumb luck, this medication helped tremendously with my depression. Wasn't gone but the difference was absolutely night and day.

I will cut you the long story, but basically they will not prescribe a repeat to me. The reason for this is that my illness is not caused by anything specific. Nothing has happened to me to ever trigger it - I have it pretty good in life. I've always strongly believed it is an entirely chemical problem. For that reason, I have nothing to go to the doctors with - because I have no explanation, and haven't seeked treatment for it in years, seemingly they either do not believe I have nothing to go to a therapist about or do not believe I am ill at all. I stopped taking it about a month ago when my remaining stuff ran out, and now feel like absolute hell all over again.

I can understand the concern of not wanting to put me on something for all eternity without knowing much about my condition, but this is the only treatment that has worked out of about 6 antidepressants and everything else. I have now exhausted all other options. Does anyone have any experience from this perspective? I am honestly thinking of just making up some backstory to try and explain my depression, which would maybe make them take it seriously. Either that, or seeing yet another different doctor.

Thanks.

Maybe try seeing a different doctor or go back and explain about your depression and see what they suggest and really emphasise that you aren't coping.
    Also you said that the drug they gave you for your elbow was a painkiller, if it was opium based like codeine or tramadol then they are addictive and shouldn't be used log term so maybe find out why they won't give to you on a more permanent basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Context - 21 years old, lifelong depression that has not previously responded to any form of treatment I have received or lifestyle change. Have not been to a doctor in the past 5 years until recently about it.

I was prescribed a medication that is actually a painkiller (for a problem with my elbows). By shear dumb luck, this medication helped tremendously with my depression. Wasn't gone but the difference was absolutely night and day.

I will cut you the long story, but basically they will not prescribe a repeat to me. The reason for this is that my illness is not caused by anything specific. Nothing has happened to me to ever trigger it - I have it pretty good in life. I've always strongly believed it is an entirely chemical problem. For that reason, I have nothing to go to the doctors with - because I have no explanation, and haven't seeked treatment for it in years, seemingly they either do not believe I have nothing to go to a therapist about or do not believe I am ill at all. I stopped taking it about a month ago when my remaining stuff ran out, and now feel like absolute hell all over again.

I can understand the concern of not wanting to put me on something for all eternity without knowing much about my condition, but this is the only treatment that has worked out of about 6 antidepressants and everything else. I have now exhausted all other options. Does anyone have any experience from this perspective? I am honestly thinking of just making up some backstory to try and explain my depression, which would maybe make them take it seriously. Either that, or seeing yet another different doctor.

Thanks.
    You don't need a 'reason' for depression. In many cases depression is not caused by a traumatic event or anything of that sort, it's just 'there'... Why bother making up a backstory.

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    Maybe you're bored

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    I would try to see another GP, however, it depends on what the medication is that helped - if it is used for depression then why not, but if it is not usually used for depression, that may be why they are not prescribing it. Also, have you thought of doing CBT? That doesn't include talking about your past - it is about the here and now, and looking at challenging your thought patterns which can be contributing to your depression.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 28, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.