Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I want to do a high quality, A* standard EPQ in the next academic year. I'm wanting to do the French Revolution because I have never studied it before. (Although I'm not entirely sure that's a good idea because I read that background knowledge is essential, however it makes me excited knowing I get to teach myself and become an expert in something I have never studied before but have always been interested in). History is my passion and if my AS exams have gone to plan (I've worked hard, but I'm doubting hugely doubting myself right now) I hope to apply Cambridge.

I don't know exactly where to begin though, and with a history title in a topic i am currently teaching myself (I have borrowed some AS books on the French Revolution to give me the basics, and then I am going to expand my knowledge by purchasing larger, more in depth books) and therefore, as I only started yesterday, I am unsure on what to target specifically.

How do I come up with a high quality EPQ History based title? How do I 'dip my feet' into the beginnings?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    I want to do a high quality, A* standard EPQ in the next academic year. I'm wanting to do the French Revolution because I have never studied it before. (Although I'm not entirely sure that's a good idea because I read that background knowledge is essential, however it makes me excited knowing I get to teach myself and become an expert in something I have never studied before but have always been interested in). History is my passion and if my AS exams have gone to plan (I've worked hard, but I'm doubting hugely doubting myself right now) I hope to apply Cambridge.

I don't know exactly where to begin though, and with a history title in a topic i am currently teaching myself (I have borrowed some AS books on the French Revolution to give me the basics, and then I am going to expand my knowledge by purchasing larger, more in depth books) and therefore, as I only started yesterday, I am unsure on what to target specifically.

How do I come up with a high quality EPQ History based title? How do I 'dip my feet' into the beginnings?
    I am not a historian, but I did complete an EPQ last year and managed to get an A*! My best advice is that the magic happens after thorough research. Obviously, you have a topic that you want to write about, which is a great start! I don't know anything really about the French Revolution, but I would assume that you'll be angling for something along the lines of 'to what extent did the French Revolution...' have an effect on something(?). I wouldn't worry about not having studied it before, as it is far more impressive to look at something that you haven't done in much depth.

When you come up with a title, in the early stages, it isn't set in stone. It will show good development if you change it slightly after considering your research, etc. But, I'm not saying choose something rubbish with the idea of wowing them at the end - that's not how it works!

Sorry for the vague advice, but essentially I would suggest drafting up a plan of sections and research you have to do before worrying about a title. You'll only be able to do this once you've done some more reading. You'll find an area that seems particularly appropriate, I'm sure! But, don't be afraid of changing your mind or straying from your original plans!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by elf03)
    I am not a historian, but I did complete an EPQ last year and managed to get an A*! My best advice is that the magic happens after thorough research. Obviously, you have a topic that you want to write about, which is a great start! I don't know anything really about the French Revolution, but I would assume that you'll be angling for something along the lines of 'to what extent did the French Revolution...' have an effect on something(?). I wouldn't worry about not having studied it before, as it is far more impressive to look at something that you haven't done in much depth.

When you come up with a title, in the early stages, it isn't set in stone. It will show good development if you change it slightly after considering your research, etc. But, I'm not saying choose something rubbish with the idea of wowing them at the end - that's not how it works!

Sorry for the vague advice, but essentially I would suggest drafting up a plan of sections and research you have to do before worrying about a title. You'll only be able to do this once you've done some more reading. You'll find an area that seems particularly appropriate, I'm sure! But, don't be afraid of changing your mind or straying from your original plans!
    Thank-you so much! Any particular way to go about thorough research?

ReputationRep:
    Thank-you so much! Any particular way to go about thorough research?
    No worries! Well, the books you have borrowed are a great start! They may not be sources you use in your actual report, but anything you find valuable in these you should make a note of and maybe write a couple of lines about its usefulness and reliability as a source (then keep doing this with anything else you come across). No doubt there will be a wealth of knowledge on the internet and documentaries or even portrayals in television and film shouldn't be dismissed - it's good to have a variety of sources (in terms of format as well as number), but obviously it depends what kind of route you take as to how appropriate some of these sources will be!

I hope this was helpful - I wish I could be more specific, but having very little knowledge about your subject matter, I don't think I can be!

Also, I love your avatar!

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying the French Revolution at A level and the main big ideas appear to be why the French Revolution occurred. You could maybe look into the taxation system on the ancien regime or the divides and inequality in society as to how these contributed to the revolution. Alternatively you could look at how the governments change and the rise of extremist groups such as the jacobins. Napoleon and the napoleonic wars could be another route to take. I suggest looking at A level/ AS past paper questions from exam boards such as OCR to get an idea of what sort of question you could answer. Textbooks are a good source to use to get the general idea and significant themes or parts of the revolution then branch out into more specific books that are targeted at the area you want to look into. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:

Out of curiosity what title did you end up picking? and what did you get? Im doing an EPQ as well and making it history related because that's what I wanna do in Uni

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic idea! An EPQ is like a front-of-the-line pass to Oxbridge.

Do be careful, however, as an EPQ assesses your higher level thinking skills, like analysis, evaluations and predictions for the future.

I wonder how close one on history would stray to a regurgitation of facts as oppose to a sophisticated night-time read.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by niftyhitman)
    Out of curiosity what title did you end up picking? and what did you get? Im doing an EPQ as well and making it history related because that's what I wanna do in Uni
    I'm still writing it and I just changed my title haha

Wow that post you quoted is so cringey, oh well

But yeah im doing 18th century philosophers and the French Revolution, and I'm predicted an A*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by alanaro)
    Fantastic idea! An EPQ is like a front-of-the-line pass to Oxbridge.

Do be careful, however, as an EPQ assesses your higher level thinking skills, like analysis, evaluations and predictions for the future.

I wonder how close one on history would stray to a regurgitation of facts as oppose to a sophisticated night-time read.
    History EPQs are literal regurgitated factual recalls and it's so damn annoying

Science ones look more interesting

At least it filled up space on my PS just sayin

ReputationRep:
    I'm still writing it and I just changed my title haha

Wow that post you quoted is so cringey, oh well

But yeah im doing 18th century philosophers and the French Revolution, and I'm predicted an A*
    Oh that's great! Spoke to my supervisor today , and without giving away too much detail . Thinking about writing about war crimes in ww2 and the american revolution

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.