Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Can anyone please highlight the key differences between accountancy and finance and accountancy and business law?

Like in terms of how the course is taught, what sort of jobs I can except to get from said courses etc...
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Unihopper)
    Hi there,

Can anyone please highlight the key differences between accountancy and finance and accountancy and business law?

Like in terms of how the course is taught, what sort of jobs I can except to get from said courses etc...
    Hi Unihopper

The main difference is that if you are considering a career as an accountant and thinking of undertaking professional accountancy exams in the future then our MA (Hons) Accountancy & Finance will give you a head start with that. After 4 years you'll come out with maximum number of exemptions for the examinations of the professional accountancy bodies (ACCA, ICAS, ICAEW).

The MA (Hons) Accounting and Business Law is 50% accounting subjects and 50% business law. So you'll come out with some professional exemptions from this but not as many as you would on the Accountancy & Finance degree.

There is no difference in the way our courses are taught across these degrees - the usual mixture of lectures, tutorials, seminars, online learning etc.

In terms of jobs - most from the Accountancy & Finance degree go on to train as accountants in both small and large firms, but many also go on to graduate training schemes particularly in the financial services industry. From our Accountancy and Business Law degree some graduates do go on to accountancy training, but many go on to careers in the legal/HR departments of financial companies (banks, accountancy firms etc) as well.

Hope this helps!

if you have any more questions, drop us a line on [email protected] where we'll be happy to help

Ali, on behalf of the Admissions Team in the School of Management and Languages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heriot-Watt University)
    Hi Unihopper

The main difference is that if you are considering a career as an accountant and thinking of undertaking professional accountancy exams in the future then our MA (Hons) Accountancy & Finance will give you a head start with that. After 4 years you'll come out with maximum number of exemptions for the examinations of the professional accountancy bodies (ACCA, ICAS, ICAEW).

The MA (Hons) Accounting and Business Law is 50% accounting subjects and 50% business law. So you'll come out with some professional exemptions from this but not as many as you would on the Accountancy & Finance degree.

There is no difference in the way our courses are taught across these degrees - the usual mixture of lectures, tutorials, seminars, online learning etc.

In terms of jobs - most from the Accountancy & Finance degree go on to train as accountants in both small and large firms, but many also go on to graduate training schemes particularly in the financial services industry. From our Accountancy and Business Law degree some graduates do go on to accountancy training, but many go on to careers in the legal/HR departments of financial companies (banks, accountancy firms etc) as well.

Hope this helps!

if you have any more questions, drop us a line on [email protected] where we'll be happy to help

Ali, on behalf of the Admissions Team in the School of Management and Languages
    Thanks a bunch for the reply

Another question if you don't mind me asking.You mentioned that I would come out with more exemptions through accountancy & finance than I would with accounting & business law. Could you be more specific on what exemptions I would come out if I were to do Accountancy & Finance/Accountancy and business law respectively?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Unihopper)
    Thanks a bunch for the reply

Another question if you don't mind me asking.You mentioned that I would come out with more exemptions through accountancy & finance than I would with accounting & business law. Could you be more specific on what exemptions I would come out if I were to do Accountancy & Finance/Accountancy and business law respectively?
    Hi Unihopper

If you email [email protected] then we'll be able to provide more details on this. The answer isn't entirely black or white - it depends on the optional/elective choices you make on each of the programmes. But if you drop us an email we'll give you some further information on this.

School of Management and Languages
    :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.