Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been a GP for over 20 years in England then Scotland. I have been through the "red book" days then fundholding then the "new" contract and QAF. In Scotland at the moment QAF is being phased out and GPs are breathing a huge sigh of relief.
    What this means is that our practice incomes will no longer be dependant on us gaining 1500 or so points with each point being worth so many hundreds of pounds so we spend all our time chasing targets and trying to drag patients in for reviews leaving little time to deal with discussing the problem they're concerned about.
    We will be free to decide on our own practice policies and protocols again and have time to think rather than jumping through endless hoops.
    There are also still a lot of GPs in partnerships in Scotland (which means you're not as much of a wage slave as salaried GPs and have much more control and flexibility).
    I think now is a good time to think of general practice in Scotland and I haven't felt this positive for well over 5 years.
    My GP sessions also pay 1 1/2 times what I get at the top of my speciality doctor session (100k pa for 9 sessions v 70k for 10)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taysidefrog)
    I've been a GP for over 20 years in England then Scotland. I have been through the "red book" days then fundholding then the "new" contract and QAF. In Scotland at the moment QAF is being phased out and GPs are breathing a huge sigh of relief.
    What this means is that our practice incomes will no longer be dependant on us gaining 1500 or so points with each point being worth so many hundreds of pounds so we spend all our time chasing targets and trying to drag patients in for reviews leaving little time to deal with discussing the problem they're concerned about.
    We will be free to decide on our own practice policies and protocols again and have time to think rather than jumping through endless hoops.
    There are also still a lot of GPs in partnerships in Scotland (which means you're not as much of a wage slave as salaried GPs and have much more control and flexibility).
    I think now is a good time to think of general practice in Scotland and I haven't felt this positive for well over 5 years.
    My GP sessions also pay 1 1/2 times what I get at the top of my speciality doctor session (100k pa for 9 sessions v 70k for 10)
    Its nice to hear someone positive about GP amongst the doom and gloom. End of QoF sounds like a good thing, points means prizes is not always the best policy and creates pointless work and (from the outside at least) it looks like it can lead to decisions which are not necessarily completely in the patients best interests. I like the principles of being a GP but not so sure about the actuality of it - I got a slightly negative view of the career from a lot of the GPs I spent time with on placements.

ReputationRep:
    If the new junior doctor contract is as awful as it currently looks, I think Scotland may do very well in its recruitment in all specialties in the next few years - I'd certainly consider it!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    QAF isn't being replaced by anything?

ReputationRep:
    There are still some ex QAF things that count as "core" activities we are expected to do, but no-one (yet) is going to police us on them and most of them are things a Gp would do anyway l;ike checking the bp of hypertensives.
    There is a new thing they've invented called clusters (promptly renamed "nut clusters" by GPs!) where each practice has to send a GP to the cluster and they naval gaze a bit and discuss standards with a head cluster person (one of my partners is thinking about going for this job) co-ordinating localities.
    It is far far better that QAF though and anything the nut clusters do will have been decided by local GPs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.