Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To start with, sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I wasn't really sure where to put it.
    I have a break now over half term between my exams, so I thought I would spend a day or two going through some uni prospectuses and having a look at places that I might like to go. I'm a bit late, I know, but I just felt like exams were more of a priority earlier in the year than looking at uni courses.
    I have about 40 prospectuses to look through, and there is so much info online about what you should look for when choosing a uni, like housing costs, accommodation, league tables, finances and stuff like that, that I don't really know where to begin.
    Can anyone give me tips on how to sort through all this stuff and what really matters when choosing a uni??

ReputationRep:
    About 40 :0 Guess the process for me was much simpler because I live in Scotland where there is hardly any unis.

The top piece of advice I would give you is just pick someone where you will be happy. I'm not happy with my firm choice this year and I'm taking a gap year or giving UCAS extra a try.

I think it's good to look at your individual course and how a particular uni performs at the course. You could do that by looking at the university league tables (which are sometimes great, sometimes not), look at reviews and statistics. I looked at graduate employability rates, research quality etc. everyone will have different things they want to consider.

If you have a particular city you want to live in or a certain type of a university you want to go to, that can narrow things down.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Charlotte.P)
    To start with, sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I wasn't really sure where to put it.
    I have a break now over half term between my exams, so I thought I would spend a day or two going through some uni prospectuses and having a look at places that I might like to go. I'm a bit late, I know, but I just felt like exams were more of a priority earlier in the year than looking at uni courses.
    I have about 40 prospectuses to look through, and there is so much info online about what you should look for when choosing a uni, like housing costs, accommodation, league tables, finances and stuff like that, that I don't really know where to begin.
    Can anyone give me tips on how to sort through all this stuff and what really matters when choosing a uni??
    Different things matter more to different people, but the main things I would say to look at are the modules they offer, the types of assessments as part of the course, the living costs of the university, do they offer something other universities don't for example bursaries, accreditation. Can you meet the entry requirements is an important one, geography can be too.

Have you made a list of what it is that you definitely want in a university, that might eliminate some for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashleymacleod)
    About 40 :0 Guess the process for me was much simpler because I live in Scotland where there is hardly any unis.

The top piece of advice I would give you is just pick someone where you will be happy. I'm not happy with my firm choice this year and I'm taking a gap year or giving UCAS extra a try.

I think it's good to look at your individual course and how a particular uni performs at the course. You could do that by looking at the university league tables (which are sometimes great, sometimes not), look at reviews and statistics. I looked at graduate employability rates, research quality etc. everyone will have different things they want to consider.

If you have a particular city you want to live in or a certain type of a university you want to go to, that can narrow things down.
    Thanks for your advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Different things matter more to different people, but the main things I would say to look at are the modules they offer, the types of assessments as part of the course, the living costs of the university, do they offer something other universities don't for example bursaries, accreditation. Can you meet the entry requirements is an important one, geography can be too.

Have you made a list of what it is that you definitely want in a university, that might eliminate some for you?
    I wasn't really sure about what to do, but that's a really good idea. Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be get enough prospectuses to build a fort. That way you have student accommodation sorted.

ReputationRep:
    To try and limit your numbers you could firstly check how many you are actually likely to meet the entry requirments in terms of entry grades and specific subjects. You can then find out how many still offer this course for this years entry. Are they in the kind of environment you want to study such as big or small cities. Will you be happier in big cities like London or Birmingham or in small places like say Lampeter which has a population of only 4000. You can also decide whether you wish to be in a campus based university like Bath or a city based university like Bristol. Another factor will be how close or far away from home you wish to study. Using these and the previously given advice should at least manage to narrow your options. The bottom line is that you are happy wherever you go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    To try and limit your numbers you could firstly check how many you are actually likely to meet the entry requirments in terms of entry grades and specific subjects. You can then find out how many still offer this course for this years entry. Are they in the kind of environment you want to study such as big or small cities. Will you be happier in big cities like London or Birmingham or in small places like say Lampeter which has a population of only 4000. You can also decide whether you wish to be in a campus based university like Bath or a city based university like Bristol. Another factor will be how close or far away from home you wish to study. Using these and the previously given advice should at least manage to narrow your options. The bottom line is that you are happy wherever you go
    This was really helpful, thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte.P)
    This was really helpful, thanks a lot.
    When looking at entry requirements it might be worth looking at necessary subjects. This means that for courses such as Economics or Computer Science a set grade at A level Maths is required. Sometimes universities require GCSE English Language or Maths at grade B. This is worth considering if you do not have either at B or above.

ReputationRep:
    At GCSE I got 1 A*, 7 As and 1 B. I'm currently doing Biology, Maths, Physics and Religious Studies at AS level. I'm interested in Forensic science and forensic biology, so that narrows things down quite a lot because not that many unis offer those courses. It's still quite confusing trying to sort through different types of accommodation and finance stuff though. Thanks for all your help.

ReputationRep:
    Useful TSR reading for anyone preparing to apply for 2017 entry - How to Avoid 5 Rejections : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...ity-rejections

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.