Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

So I realise this is a really annoying question and not one with a specific answer, but please bear with me :3 I know it varies between universities, but what do most universities give more weighting to on the UCAS application for the following subjects:

- Biological Sciences?
    - English Literature?

I'm afraid to say that I'm not sure I'm going to get wonderful grades in my first year of A Levels (I think I've done well in History and English Literature, I think I've done okay in Biology and I am honestly not sure about Chemistry). I need Chemistry for my choices in Biological Sciences (which is my main choice :3).

I'm just worried that if I don't get as good a grades as my target grade, which is an A in all subjects because it is a mean of my grades at GCSE, then it will hamper my chances of being offered good university places/conditional offers? I have really good work experience and I'm always told my CV/applications are really, really good etc, but I'm worried my grades will bring my application down too far. Obviously they won't look AS GOOD as fab grades would, but how far will they hamper my chances if I have two good and two okay but not so good?

I hope that makes sense, please help :3
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by nerdydaydreamer)
    Hey everyone!

So I realise this is a really annoying question and not one with a specific answer, but please bear with me :3 I know it varies between universities, but what do most universities give more weighting to on the UCAS application for the following subjects:

- Biological Sciences?
    - English Literature?

I'm afraid to say that I'm not sure I'm going to get wonderful grades in my first year of A Levels (I think I've done well in History and English Literature, I think I've done okay in Biology and I am honestly not sure about Chemistry). I need Chemistry for my choices in Biological Sciences (which is my main choice :3).

I'm just worried that if I don't get as good a grades as my target grade, which is an A in all subjects because it is a mean of my grades at GCSE, then it will hamper my chances of being offered good university places/conditional offers? I have really good work experience and I'm always told my CV/applications are really, really good etc, but I'm worried my grades will bring my application down too far. Obviously they won't look AS GOOD as fab grades would, but how far will they hamper my chances if I have two good and two okay but not so good?

I hope that makes sense, please help :3
    As you say it depends on the universities for english literature, if your essay subjects are good grades then a not so good chemistry grade won't do too much harm. However, for biological sciences a not so good chemistry grade won't look as good.
    For your two subject choices I would say that your grades will be most important as work experience doesn't hold much importance for subjects that aren't vocational.

I would say wait to see what happens on results day as you never know You can always have an aspirational ucas choice and some less risky ones if you do miss your target grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    As you say it depends on the universities for english literature, if your essay subjects are good grades then a not so good chemistry grade won't do too much harm. However, for biological sciences a not so good chemistry grade won't look as good.
    For your two subject choices I would say that your grades will be most important as work experience doesn't hold much importance for subjects that aren't vocational.

I would say wait to see what happens on results day as you never know You can always have an aspirational ucas choice and some less risky ones if you do miss your target grade.
    thank you so much love, that's really helpful! I suppose I still have another exam in each science to bring my grade up more. I see my A Levels as more of a work in progress, so leading up to the final exams. I hope to improve far more then, and my target grades do not reflect my strengths and are for the end of A Level.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by nerdydaydreamer)
    thank you so much love, that's really helpful! I suppose I still have another exam in each science to bring my grade up more. I see my A Levels as more of a work in progress, so leading up to the final exams. I hope to improve far more then, and my target grades do not reflect my strengths and are for the end of A Level.
    glad to help If you find that you improve massively in your A2 year, there is always adjustment available which is risk free

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.