Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think of these a levels? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am considering doing: Economics, Business and computer science. Would universities be ok with me doing economics AND business studies or should i consider a different option. Also i am about a low B grade student in maths would i struggle at all with any of these, im concerned that computer science may be too hard as i have never done it at GCSE, if anyone does do it could you tell me how difficult it really is. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RS012)
    I am considering doing: Economics, Business and computer science. Would universities be ok with me doing economics AND business studies or should i consider a different option. Also i am about a low B grade student in maths would i struggle at all with any of these, im concerned that computer science may be too hard as i have never done it at GCSE, if anyone does do it could you tell me how difficult it really is. Thanks
    What do you want to do in university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Either computer science or business, at the moment its between going into a career in banking/finance or going down the computer science route which would probably be more enjoyable which is why i want to do these A levels so my options are open.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RS012)
    Either computer science or business, at the moment its between going into a career in banking/finance or going down the computer science route which would probably be more enjoyable which is why i want to do these A levels so my options are open.
    I don't do computer science but I have friends that do and they say that a lot of D1 is in the course. I'm sure that if you work hard at it then you'll do ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RS012)
    Hi,

I would suggest swapping economics or business studies for maths. A Level maths is often essential for degrees in both computer science and accounting and finance, so I think that's something to consider

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RS012)
    A lot of unis don't recommend taking both Business and Economics however that doesn't mean that it's impossible to get into any university with them. As for Computer Science, I think it's quite mathy but you will get the hang of it. If you are a low B grade student in Maths that doesn't rate you as abysmal at it so I think you'll cope.

The only slight problem is that you are only taking one "facilitating" subject. This isn't the be all and end all of everything but lots of universities recommend taking at least two facilitating subjects.

ReputationRep:
    with your career goals in mind, i'd say maths, econ and comp sci
    but if you're not too good at maths, then you might want to re-think what you want to with your career and pick different subjects altogether
    and bare in mind, by picking comp sci, you'll be limiting your degree options in the future

ReputationRep:
    I think maths would be great to take, it would make your options appeal more to universities, but make sure you work hard for it because I know A* grade students who struggle but A/B students excel when they put the extra effort in. Also, those I know who did computer science for Gcse said it was really easy and got A*s but I don't know about A level.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.