Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My parents don't want me to go because I'm 'too young', I'm 16 but it's a huge event for my year. My entire year is going, and it would be so good to stay over because at the moment my parents want to drive 3 hours all the way from London to pick me up at 12. I think it would be better for me to stay over to save them the trouble of driving. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    stay over where? isn't your prom near school or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katodizzle)
    My parents don't want me to go because I'm 'too young', I'm 16 but it's a huge event for my year. My entire year is going, and it would be so good to stay over because at the moment my parents want to drive 3 hours all the way from London to pick me up at 12. I think it would be better for me to stay over to save them the trouble of driving. Any advice?
    Meh tbh i didn't go(although almost my whole year went xD) but since you want to go that much your parents should let you go.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eternalhinch)
    stay over where? isn't your prom near school or something?
    The actual prom is at school but a guy in my year is hosting an after party at his house and 90% of my year is staying over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steelmeat)
    Meh tbh i didn't go(although almost my whole year went xD) but since you want to go that much your parents should let you go.....
    Fair play, it just bugs me because they won't give me a valid reason as to why I can't stay over :/

ReputationRep:
    The actual prom is at school but a guy in my year is hosting an after party at his house and 90% of my year is staying over.
    If you really want to go ask your parents but what's the big deal about it?

ReputationRep:
    Fair play, it just bugs me because they won't give me a valid reason as to why I can't stay over :/
    This is how you know you're right and you've won the argument, when someone uses the only thing they have left to beat you, which is "power"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eternalhinch)
    If you really want to go ask your parents but what's the big deal about it?
    I just really want to go because it's the last time my year will be together after 5 years so it will be awesome

ReputationRep:
    My after prom was one of the best party's I've ever gone to, so much better than actual prom! calmly try and explain to your parents the situation, perhaps get them to talk to some of your friends parents? they might just need reassurance that they are being a 'good parent' if they let you go somewhere where you will most likely be drinking etc.. it may be best if you come home after, but try and rearrange lifts with someone so they don't have to come and collect you? you just need to be calm and mature and they will see you aren't 'too young'

so someone goes to your school and travels 3 hours everyday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steelmeat)
    This is how you know you're right and you've won the argument, when someone uses the only thing they have left to beat you, which is "power"
    Yeah true thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by espicton98)
    My after prom was one of the best party's I've ever gone to, so much better than actual prom! calmly try and explain to your parents the situation, perhaps get them to talk to some of your friends parents? they might just need reassurance that they are being a 'good parent' if they let you go somewhere where you will most likely be drinking etc.. it may be best if you come home after, but try and rearrange lifts with someone so they don't have to come and collect you? you just need to be calm and mature and they will see you aren't 'too young'
    Yeah that's why I'm thinking of doing, except that it makes sense for me to stay over because I live much further away in the middle of London than where after prom is. So, it would make sense for me to stay over and come back the next morning, not have them drive all the way so late at night :/

ReputationRep:
    You'll get your freedom eventually. When I was at high school my parents didn't really trust me and I didn't go out much. But the summer after high school (I left a year ago) they started to trust me and I proved I could be sensible and fend for myself. They wouldn't have let me go out drinking or sleep at guy's houses during high school but they do now! Just prove to your parents that you can be sensible and they will gradually give you more freedom. It sucks right now but it will be worth it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.