Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey,

So i'm hoping that in 2017 i will be able to do a nursing degree but am worried about my qualifications before applying as most of the uni's desire a science a-level which i don't have, which means they may decline my application.

The qualifications that i am predicted at the end of year 13 are D* D* BTEC Sport diploma (with an anatomy and physiology unit within it) and D* BTEC IT Subsidiary diploma (i know weird choices but decided i wanted to go into nursing half way through the first year) and i will have hospital work experience along with charity work which i have done.

My main gcse's are science - B B, maths - B, english language - C and english literature - B along with Art - B, RE - A*, BTEC Sport - Distinction and Merit, ICT - Distinction.

Is this enough to be accepted into the course or should i find another uni course to do?

thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ellie100599)
    hey,

So i'm hoping that in 2017 i will be able to do a nursing degree but am worried about my qualifications before applying as most of the uni's desire a science a-level which i don't have, which means they may decline my application.

The qualifications that i am predicted at the end of year 13 are D* D* BTEC Sport diploma (with an anatomy and physiology unit within it) and D* BTEC IT Subsidiary diploma (i know weird choices but decided i wanted to go into nursing half way through the first year) and i will have hospital work experience along with charity work which i have done.

My main gcse's are science - B B, maths - B, english language - C and english literature - B along with Art - B, RE - A*, BTEC Sport - Distinction and Merit, ICT - Distinction.

Is this enough to be accepted into the course or should i find another uni course to do?

thanks

You need to look at the entry requirements on the UCAS website and see if the universities you're interested in would accept your qualifications. You're right in thinking that most require a science at A Level now. I'm not very sure about BTEC courses so you might even need to contact the universities to enquire about what grades they would be looking for and whether they accept students without science qualifications.

If nursing is really what you want to do, don't give in and do a different course that you're not really interested in. There is no point getting into debt to do a course that won't get you into the career you want. I would recommend doing an Access course which is a year where you will be prepared for university. Access courses provide valuable practical experience, will bring your science up to the level needed and will help you get to grips with referencing, giving you an advantage once you start. Provided you pass the access course and have good voluntary work and work experience, you stand a pretty good chance of getting accepted onto a nursing degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    You need to look at the entry requirements on the UCAS website and see if the universities you're interested in would accept your qualifications. You're right in thinking that most require a science at A Level now. I'm not very sure about BTEC courses so you might even need to contact the universities to enquire about what grades they would be looking for and whether they accept students without science qualifications.

If nursing is really what you want to do, don't give in and do a different course that you're not really interested in. There is no point getting into debt to do a course that won't get you into the career you want. I would recommend doing an Access course which is a year where you will be prepared for university. Access courses provide valuable practical experience, will bring your science up to the level needed and will help you get to grips with referencing, giving you an advantage once you start. Provided you pass the access course and have good voluntary work and work experience, you stand a pretty good chance of getting accepted onto a nursing degree.
    thank you i will look into access courses
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

You can download our brand new Nursing and Midwifery Guide which will give you lots of hints and tips on the application to nursing school.

http://www.gapmedics.co.uk/downloads/#teacher-resources

Thanks
    Lauren

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gap Medics)
    Hi,

You can download our brand new Nursing and Midwifery Guide which will give you lots of hints and tips on the application to nursing school.

http://www.gapmedics.co.uk/downloads/#teacher-resources

Thanks
    Lauren
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Some take sport as a subject if you've done anatomy - as my friend whose a nurse did btec sport
    At least half the nurses I know didn't do a levels in any health area but most had experience! So I guess there's unis who don't necessitate it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you that's so reassuring to hear , I don't suppose you know what uni's they went to that accept btec sport?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.