GabbytheGreek_48
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
hey maths people i know this is kinda early but im terrible at mechanics especially these three topics:
Application vectors
Newtons laws with vectors
Projectiles
so was wondering if anybody whose doing mechanics and good at it could help me with these and mayb i can help some other people with the same problem or different topics thanks

idk if its a glitch but pressed maths and wont come in maths
problemq
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Post any specific problems you are struggling with and you'll get help.
GabbytheGreek_48
Rep:
At time 0900, a snowmobile passes a fixed origin O with constant velocity (8i-14j) kmh-1, where i and j are unit vectors due east and due north respectively. An hour and a half later, the snowmobile changes velocity so that it is travelling due west with speed 20kmh-1.

a) at what time is the snowmobile due south of O?

help with these times of questions and general mechanics tips for these topics would be good sorry for asking so much but I dont want mechanics to bring me down especially if they have questions like these that are phrased differently
GabbytheGreek_48
Rep:
thanks again for the help
Steelmeat
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
At time 0900, a snowmobile passes a fixed origin O with constant velocity (8i-14j) kmh-1, where i and j are unit vectors due east and due north respectively. An hour and a half later, the snowmobile changes velocity so that it is travelling due west with speed 20kmh-1.

help with these times of questions and general mechanics tips for these topics would be good sorry for asking so much but I dont want mechanics to bring me down especially if they have questions like these that are phrased differently
Zacken
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 years ago

What specific bit confuses you?

At time 09:00, let's call this our original position. Using displacement = speed * time we have our position vector at any time t as

(0, 0) + t (8, -14).

We want our position 1 and a half hours later. That's (0, 0) + 1.5 (8, -14).

Simplify that.

Travelling due west with speed 20 kmh^-1 is the same as saying it has a constant velocity of (-20, 0). But it's starting at 1.5(8, -14).

So its position at a general time t is 1.5(8, 14) + t(-20, 0).

What does it mean for the thing to be due south of O, it means that it's 'i' component is 0, right? Draw a graph and label a point right underneath the origin, what is the i component of that?

So you have the i component as 1.5(8) - 20t which can set to 0 and solve.
GabbytheGreek_48
Rep:
(Original post by Zacken)

At time 09:00, let's call this our original position. Using displacement = speed * time we have our position vector at any time t as

(0, 0) + t (8, -14).

Simplify that.

Travelling due west with speed 20 kmh^-1 is the same as saying it has a constant velocity of (-20, 0). But it's starting at 1.5(8, -14).

What does it mean for the thing to be due south of O, it means that it's 'i' component is 0, right? Draw a graph and label a point right underneath the origin, what is the i component of that?

oh wow thanks alot that really clears things up and generally i get lost in these type of questions either that or i try something and its not the right answer this helps alot i might have more questions hope i dont get annoying thanks alot
Middriver
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 5 years ago

(0, 0) + t (8, -14).

Simplify that.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  489.2 KB Is that right? Got a little confused.
Zacken
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
oh wow thanks alot that really clears things up and generally i get lost in these type of questions either that or i try something and its not the right answer this helps alot i might have more questions hope i dont get annoying thanks alot
Don't worry about it, a lot of this is just trying to lay your working out in logical steps.
Zacken
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Middriver)
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  489.2 KB Is that right? Got a little confused.
Yeah, that's correct. It wants the time though, so what's 9 o'clock + 2.1 hours?

Hint: it's 11 o'clock + (0.1 * 60) minutes.
GabbytheGreek_48
Rep:
Yeah, that's correct. It wants the time though, so what's 9 o'clock + 2.1 hours?

Hint: it's 11 o'clock + (0.1 * 60) minutes.
so 9 + 2 hours and six mins? so 1106
Zacken
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
so 9 + 2 hours and six mins? so 1106
Sounds right, yeah.
GabbytheGreek_48
Rep:
Sounds right, yeah.
ok i think im getting the topic more because ive been doing the questions(slowly but still) and getting the right answers
Zacken
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
ok i think im getting the topic more because ive been doing the questions(slowly but still) and getting the right answers
Awesome.
GabbytheGreek_48
Rep:
Awesome.
thans again i might have mre questions though cus im going through the other topics etc
Zacken
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
thans again i might have mre questions though cus im going through the other topics etc
Feel free to use the maths forum whenever.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.74%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.35%
No (110)
27.09%
I'm not sure (52)
12.81%

Watched Threads