Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey maths people i know this is kinda early but im terrible at mechanics especially these three topics:
    Application vectors
    Newtons laws with vectors
    Projectiles
    so was wondering if anybody whose doing mechanics and good at it could help me with these and mayb i can help some other people with the same problem or different topics thanks

idk if its a glitch but pressed maths and wont come in maths

ReputationRep:
    Post any specific problems you are struggling with and you'll get help.

ReputationRep:
    At time 0900, a snowmobile passes a fixed origin O with constant velocity (8i-14j) kmh-1, where i and j are unit vectors due east and due north respectively. An hour and a half later, the snowmobile changes velocity so that it is travelling due west with speed 20kmh-1.

a) at what time is the snowmobile due south of O?

help with these times of questions and general mechanics tips for these topics would be good sorry for asking so much but I dont want mechanics to bring me down especially if they have questions like these that are phrased differently

ReputationRep:
    thanks again for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
    At time 0900, a snowmobile passes a fixed origin O with constant velocity (8i-14j) kmh-1, where i and j are unit vectors due east and due north respectively. An hour and a half later, the snowmobile changes velocity so that it is travelling due west with speed 20kmh-1.

help with these times of questions and general mechanics tips for these topics would be good sorry for asking so much but I dont want mechanics to bring me down especially if they have questions like these that are phrased differently
    Zacken

ReputationRep:

What specific bit confuses you?

At time 09:00, let's call this our original position. Using displacement = speed * time we have our position vector at any time t as

(0, 0) + t (8, -14).

We want our position 1 and a half hours later. That's (0, 0) + 1.5 (8, -14).

Simplify that.

Travelling due west with speed 20 kmh^-1 is the same as saying it has a constant velocity of (-20, 0). But it's starting at 1.5(8, -14).

So its position at a general time t is 1.5(8, 14) + t(-20, 0).

What does it mean for the thing to be due south of O, it means that it's 'i' component is 0, right? Draw a graph and label a point right underneath the origin, what is the i component of that?

So you have the i component as 1.5(8) - 20t which can set to 0 and solve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)

At time 09:00, let's call this our original position. Using displacement = speed * time we have our position vector at any time t as

(0, 0) + t (8, -14).

Simplify that.

Travelling due west with speed 20 kmh^-1 is the same as saying it has a constant velocity of (-20, 0). But it's starting at 1.5(8, -14).

What does it mean for the thing to be due south of O, it means that it's 'i' component is 0, right? Draw a graph and label a point right underneath the origin, what is the i component of that?

oh wow thanks alot that really clears things up and generally i get lost in these type of questions either that or i try something and its not the right answer this helps alot i might have more questions hope i dont get annoying thanks alot

ReputationRep:

(0, 0) + t (8, -14).

Simplify that.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  489.2 KB Is that right? Got a little confused.

ReputationRep:
    oh wow thanks alot that really clears things up and generally i get lost in these type of questions either that or i try something and its not the right answer this helps alot i might have more questions hope i dont get annoying thanks alot
    Don't worry about it, a lot of this is just trying to lay your working out in logical steps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Middriver)
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  489.2 KB Is that right? Got a little confused.
    Yeah, that's correct. It wants the time though, so what's 9 o'clock + 2.1 hours?

Hint: it's 11 o'clock + (0.1 * 60) minutes.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's correct. It wants the time though, so what's 9 o'clock + 2.1 hours?

Hint: it's 11 o'clock + (0.1 * 60) minutes.
    so 9 + 2 hours and six mins? so 1106

ReputationRep:
    so 9 + 2 hours and six mins? so 1106
    Sounds right, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds right, yeah.
    ok i think im getting the topic more because ive been doing the questions(slowly but still) and getting the right answers

ReputationRep:
    ok i think im getting the topic more because ive been doing the questions(slowly but still) and getting the right answers
    Awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome.
    thans again i might have mre questions though cus im going through the other topics etc

ReputationRep:
    thans again i might have mre questions though cus im going through the other topics etc
    Feel free to use the maths forum whenever.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.