Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Moving into supported (assisted) living Watch

ReputationRep:
    My CPN has been trying to get me to move into supported living for quite a long time now and I've finally caved in and decided to go with it. Originally I wasn't sure I'd get on well there because it is a shared flat and whenever I am near other people I always end up getting ill but thinking about it I guess I could cope.

Does anyone else here live in supported accommodation? What does it entail? I assume a support worker comes in once every once in a while to make sure that everyone is OK. I also don't know what the situation is with rent? I assume you pay it like normal and get housing benefit and then pay the difference on top?

The one advantage is that it'll be easier than finding my own flat and I won't have to worry about landlords in quite the same way. I just don't know what it entails and I can't really find any information on it on the internet.

Any help is appreciated .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McNuggetsAhoy)
    My CPN has been trying to get me to move into supported living for quite a long time now and I've finally caved in and decided to go with it. Originally I wasn't sure I'd get on well there because it is a shared flat and whenever I am near other people I always end up getting ill but thinking about it I guess I could cope.

Does anyone else here live in supported accommodation? What does it entail? I assume a support worker comes in once every once in a while to make sure that everyone is OK. I also don't know what the situation is with rent? I assume you pay it like normal and get housing benefit and then pay the difference on top?

The one advantage is that it'll be easier than finding my own flat and I won't have to worry about landlords in quite the same way. I just don't know what it entails and I can't really find any information on it on the internet.

Any help is appreciated .
    ".
    "Staff will usually visit the home to provide motivation, such as encouragement to get out of bed and go out to college or work, and carry out simple tasks such as shopping, housework and repairs, and provide help with administrative tasks or personal care, if required." Why would you do this to yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    ".
    "Staff will usually visit the home to provide motivation, such as encouragement to get out of bed and go out to college or work, and carry out simple tasks such as shopping, housework and repairs, and provide help with administrative tasks or personal care, if required." Why would you do this to yourself?
    Don't quite understand what you mean? Supported housing is a great option for those who need some support to gain the level of independence they desire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bullettheory)
    Don't quite understand what you mean? Supported housing is a great option for those who need some support to gain the level of independence they desire.
    That's not really how I see it. Having strangers check up on you, while you are playing house... If you can't live a fully independent life then isn't it better to just let your family or partner do all those things, and retain some of your dignity? That's just my opinion, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    That's not really how I see it. Having strangers check up on you, while you are playing house... If you can't live a fully independent life then isn't it better to just let your family or partner do all those things, and retain some of your dignity? That's just my opinion, though.
    Alas some of us don't have the luxury of worrying about our dignity.

I live with my parents who are quite old (way past retirement age) and they need to live their own life so I need to move out. Unfortunately I'm not sure how I'll cope on my own and my CPN seems to be pushing the idea of supported living as a good idea for me. I can only trust her professional opinion that this would be a good idea.

I've looked into renting privately but round where I live rent is just unaffordable and I'd have to move away to someone at a minimum that is an hour and a half away by car to find any where affordable but I need some support to help me while I settle in. I'm not planning on living in supported living for ever just for a year or so while I sort myself out.

I can't really think of a better solution at the moment.

ReputationRep:

I live with my parents who are quite old (way past retirement age) and they need to live their own life so I need to move out. Unfortunately I'm not sure how I'll cope on my own and my CPN seems to be pushing the idea of supported living as a good idea for me. I can only trust her professional opinion that this would be a good idea.

I've looked into renting privately but round where I live rent is just unaffordable and I'd have to move away to someone at a minimum that is an hour and a half away by car to find any where affordable but I need some support to help me while I settle in. I'm not planning on living in supported living for ever just for a year or so while I sort myself out.

I see. Forget what I said, I was in a really bad mood.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it can be

ReputationRep:

It's a bridge.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.