Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi, I'm from Cardiff and I will be studying Life and Biological Sciences Access Course in September. Once I have passed this course I would like to attend university to gain a qualification to work directly with animals in some way. I ='m just preparing myself so I can choose the right university.

    I understand that if I was to take a zoology course I could be come a zoologist, ecologist, conservationist, etc... but would this qualification also help with becoming a zoo keeper or marine biologist?
    If not, does anybody have any suggestions to which universities would be better suited. Would I have to have a more specialist course in order to do these jobs?

    I understand Swansea university provide a marine biology course, and Cardiff University provide a zoology course.

    I'm only asking because animals are a great passion of mine and ideally I would love to be working closely with them in some way.

    Ideally I would enjoy either working in a zoo with animals, cleaning enclosures, researching, feeding and looking after them as well as doing some conservation work.
    I would like to be working in a marine environment where i could either be helping with animal conservation (turtles, dolphins, whales) or sustaining habitats like the great barrier reef chorals just for example.

    Appreciate any help guys.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Have a look at jobs you're interested in and work out what qualifications you need. My guess would be that it doesn't matter what you study now as long as it's relevant because you will have to do specialised training and gain work experience later.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 31, 2016
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.