Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    If you're an international student with a viable business plan, you're eligible to apply for the Graduate Entrepreneur visa which allows you to stay in the UK for one year. Generally, your university has to be one of the recognized endorsing bodies.

    Anyhow, the only thing the uni is supposed to do is write a letter of endorsement about your business idea. What I don't understand is WHY Coventry Uni charges you a bloody non-refundable £5000 for their "12 months of sponsorship" to cover the cost of their "support".

    I'm sorry, but as far as I can tell, unis are not supposed to charge for their sponsorship. It supposedly says the 5000 will cover

    1. A hot-desk space with PC and access to printing including relevant software packages.
    2. 12 months registered trading address at Coventry University Technology Park as part of the ‘4front’ for business offer.
    3. 2 hours mentoring per month with a University support professional to align your business plan with milestones and KPI delivery.
    4. Access to the University business support programmes managed by the business support team/Business Development Manager.
    5. Access to the Global Leaders Programme for 12 months as appropriate.
    6. Access to Coventry University London Campus business support services as appropriate.
    This is laughable. Warwick, LSE, Cass, Cranfield and other top tier B-schools offer top notch start up support for free. You don't have to pay 5000 for so called support. In fact, the 2 hours of mentoring is PART of the visa requirements which a uni has to fulfill if they've agreed to endorse you. Why would you charge for something you're required to do? So essentially, a student who gets the visa is now tied down to working at their paid for address instead of exploring the other better incubator options on offer. Is there a way to report them to the home office?

    As far as I know, no other uni charges for sponsorship and support. This to me just looks like another way to wring internationals for even more $$$$$$$$$$$$.

    Would this be for Coventry's main campus or London campus?
    • Thread Starter

    I reckon it's both campuses
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.