The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80

Its quite clear to see academic economics has lost the plot, i just don't understand why that guy can't understand it. If the subject is failing to explain 10% of empirical data, then its quite obvious the subject is useless.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 81

One more link and thats it :biggrin:.

2nd year microeconomics at UCL

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~uctp100/b201/b201dual.pdf
Reply 82
Shaun A
One more link and thats it :biggrin:.

2nd year microeconomics at UCL

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~uctp100/b201/b201dual.pdf

You mean that is for people on BSc or BA Economics???

haha they should just spend more time on economic theories... they can't go into any high-end quantitative degree anyway...
Reply 83
spencer11111
You mean that is for people on BSc or BA Economics???

haha they should just spend more time on economic theories

apparently that was economic theories :confused:?
Reply 84

It gets worst,

why in the green hell are they sitting there solving differential equations in the 3rd year :confused:?

http://www.socialsciences.man.ac.uk/economics/undergraduate/modules/es3290/documents/exercise%20set%201.pdf
Reply 85

Even Manchester uni have gone as far to rename there degree 'Economic Science'. I give up, if he still doesn't get what i'm trying to say he'll never get it.

I leave you with this quote

Davetherave
...it doesn't mean scientists make good economists though...all it means is that you're going to help mitigate economics professors inferiority complex towards science
Reply 86
Shaun A
Still doesn't hide the fact, that its the least regarded course.

Howcome it's least regarded?
Reply 87
KwungSun

I was joking :biggrin:.
Reply 88
KwungSun

Shuan A was just talking rubbish to frustrate BJH1412, who was having a heating argument with him

They are basically just insulting each other. Don't take it seriously. Biomedical Engineering is a very good course with huge inter-departmental cooperation. :smile:
Reply 89
Shaun A
Its quite clear to see academic economics has lost the plot, i just don't understand why that guy can't understand it. If the subject is failing to explain 10% of empirical data, then its quite obvious the subject is useless.

Where on earth are you getting this statistic from?

Given you are so enlightened, maybe you should drop the Director of the LSE a line, tell him to pack up shop :rolleyes:
Reply 90
tom391
Where on earth are you getting this statistic from?

Given you are so enlightened, maybe you should drop the Director of the LSE a line, tell him to pack up shop :rolleyes:

I heard it on another forum i was browsing through, i can't be bothered to go dig it up, if you research it yourself, you'll see what i am correct. I give up arguing with you. If you still can't see whats going on with the academic economics, your obviously blinded by stupidity.
Well thanks for the ample quoting, good to see that people actually read the things that one writes on TSR.

I have indeed commented quite extensively on my scepticism about the current state of academic economics. That being said, I don't think that the subject is "useless". There is a lot of economic nonsense being espoused by the media, policy makers and the general public these days and I consider it important to have trained economists who can breath some clarity and sense into all the convolution (though this often entails yet further convolution among economists). This does not, however, require detailed knowledge of real analysis. As a scientific endeavour, I would admit that the subject seems to be lacking a clear sense of direction.
Reply 92
Shaun A
I heard it on another forum i was browsing through, i can't be bothered to go dig it up, if you research it yourself, you'll see what i am correct. I give up arguing with you. If you still can't see whats going on with the academic economics, your obviously blinded by stupidity.

Oh yes, very rigorous. Glad to see your Imperial education is teaching you to evaluate sources well.

You are obviously far too dogmatic and biased (not to mention ill-informed) to have a decent discussion on this.
Reply 93
tom391
Oh yes, very rigorous. Glad to see your Imperial education is teaching you to evaluate sources well.

You are obviously far too dogmatic and biased (not to mention ill-informed) to have a decent discussion on this.

If you don't want to discuss it with me, discuss it with Davetherave, he'll explain to you, what your failing to understand, after all he is an econ grad.
Reply 94
Davetherave
Well thanks for the ample quoting, good to see that people actually read the things that one writes on TSR.

I have indeed commented quite extensively on my scepticism about the current state of academic economics. That being said, I don't think that the subject is "useless". There is a lot of economic nonsense being espoused by the media, policy makers and the general public these days and I consider it important to have trained economists who can breath some clarity and sense into all the convolution (though this often entails yet further convolution among economists). This does not, however, require detailed knowledge of real analysis. As a scientific endeavour, I would admit that the subject seems to be lacking a clear sense of direction.

Actually, proper quantification in certain branches of economics is quite a recent development. For instance, with Von Neumann's effort the mathematical principles of game theory were founded with his publication explaining 2 person games, and this was less than 60 years ago. Yet even he could not figure out how to quantify n-person games (the interesting ones).
Proper quantification in all the sciences occured at least a century ago, and thus I must say I support the argument.
Reply 95
chrisjorg
Actually, proper quantification in certain branches of economics is quite a recent development. For instance, with Von Neumann's effort the mathematical principles of game theory were founded with his publication explaining 2 person games, and this was less than 60 years ago. Yet even he could not figure out how to quantify n-person games (the interesting ones).
Proper quantification in all the sciences occured at least a century ago, and thus I must say I support the argument.

What argument do you support?
Davetherave's actual point was that economics is being unnecessarily "mathematicized." Not that economics problem is a lack of math; it's too much.

In the same thread, we discovered that a student at Oxford doing E&M, claiming to have a specialty in development economics, didn't know the names and theories of the founders of the discipline--which I had covered in my economic history course. Presumably, he's been doing math problems instead of actually studying a framework through which to understand economic development.

Thus, the death of a social science.
Reply 97
shady lane
Davetherave's actual point was that economics is being unnecessarily "mathematicized." Not that economics problem is a lack of math; it's too much.

In the same thread, we discovered that a student at Oxford doing E&M, claiming to have a specialty in development economics, didn't know the names and theories of the founders of the discipline--which I had covered in my economic history course. Presumably, he's been doing math problems instead of actually studying a framework through which to understand economic development.

Thus, the death of a social science.

Finally, Shady Lane is speaking some sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Maths is a great subject, probably the most respected, but this doesn't mean it should be abused. Economics is NOT maths. Econometrics i accept needs to be mathematical, as its empirical by nature, but economic theory doesn't. Unfortunately economics by is not a rigorous science like the physical sciences. Forcing it too be rigorous will only lead to its downfall (like Shady lane said "the death of the social science"). This can be seen in the fact that modern economic theory, is failing to explain the threshold, 10%, of empirical data. This is really sad. I remember my economics teacher saying to me, the mathematicization of economics is very recent, so when i say economics is useless, i'm referring to modern economic theory, i.e neo-classical economics, not the old-school classical theories, which make perfect sense. We all know why this happening, where not stupid. Economics academics have an inferiority complex toward science. They want to be classed as a science, not a social science, they'd give everything they have for this. Unfortunately, this is never gonna happen, unless that 10% figure moves closer to 90%, while maintaining the mathematical rigour. But we all know thats not going to happen. Tell me, fellow economists, why in the purple green hell are third year economists, solving differential equations all year, this is a joke. I know for certain, it's easier for the mathematicians and physicists to get into postgrad economics schools, than econ grads. Thats hilarious. I've even heard that quantum physics and chaos theory are being applied in economics. You guys need to get a grip of yourselves, this is getting embarrasing.

Further proof for my argument. The modern new area of interest in economics 'econophysics' (the applications of physical theories to economics). For the love of God, would you guys stop embarrassing yourselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Econophysics
Shaun A
Finally, Shady Lane is speaking some sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Maths is a great subject, probably the most respected, but this doesn't mean it should be abused. Economics is NOT maths. Econometrics i accept needs to be mathematical, as its empirical by nature, but economic theory doesn't. Unfortunately economics by is not a rigorous science like the physical sciences. Forcing it too be rigorous will only lead to its downfall (like Shady lane said "the death of the social science"). This can be seen in the fact that modern economic theory, is failing to explain the threshold, 10%, of empirical data. This is really sad. I remember my economics teacher saying to me, the mathematicization of economics is very recent, so when i say economics is useless, i'm referring to modern economic theory, i.e neo-classical economics, not the old-school classical theories, which make perfect sense. We all know why this happening, where not stupid. Economics academics have an inferiority complex toward science. They want to be classed as a science, not a social science, they'd give everything they have for this. Unfortunately, this is never gonna happen, unless that 10% figure moves closer to 90%, while maintaining the mathematical rigour. But we all know thats not going to happen. Tell me, fellow economists, why in the purple green hell are third year economists, solving differential equations all year, this is a joke. I know for certain, it's easier for the mathematicians and physicists to get into postgrad economics schools, than econ grads. Thats hilarious. I've even heard that quantum physics and chaos theory are being applied in economics. You guys need to get a grip of yourselves, this is getting embarrasing.

Further proof for my argument. The modern new area of interest in economics 'econophysics' (the applications of physical theories to economics). For the love of God, would you guys stop embarrassing yourselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Econophysics

thats perfectly reasonable. They found examples of non-linear (chaotic) behaviour in the economy decades ago. Chaos theory involves alot of complicated topology stuff and you'd definitely have to know how to solve differential equations if you wanted to, say, reconstruct a strange attractor for a chaotic system.

And for something like that, no it wouldnt help you predict the time evolution of a system (so you dont have to quote that 'only %10 of data is explainable' fact again for the 20th time) but it would explain the underlying causes and explain how you could affect economies in a quantitative but general sense.

I think its a bit arrogant for you to say economists have an inferiority complex and that thats the only reason they're trying to develop economics. You obviously dont understand the kind of complicated theories youre talking about (neither do I.) With every science you often go through periods (decades, sometimes centuries) where nothing seems to be heading anywhere, then someone makes a breakthrough. And I'd think alot of people study economics because they find the subject interesting and they want to understand the theories on an academic level even if they dont have any real world applications.

In terms of a degree, you should realise that having heavy mathematical content is going to impress employers more. Even if you never use the maths that you learn at university the fact that you put the effort in to understand it will have developed you intellectually and it shows that youre intelligent and dedicated.
Reply 99
halfoflessthan50p

I think its a bit arrogant for you to say economists have an inferiority complex and that thats the only reason they're trying to develop economics.

Not my words, they're the words from Davetherave, a LSE Econ grad (i think)

halfoflessthan50p

(so you dont have to quote that 'only %10 of data is explainable' fact again for the 20th time) but it would explain the underlying causes and explain how you could affect economies in a quantitative but general sense.

What a crazy and stupid point. So your telling me failing to explain the threshold, 10%, of empirical data is acceptable? Your correct in saying it provides a general model. But unlike physics and chemistry, economics is not a science, so this general model is insufficient. It only accounts for less than 10% of the whole story. Whereas scientific theories, account for the whole picture, and are refined smoothly in different cases. Most models in economics are based on a million of assumptions, this is crazy. One of the most common ones being, homogeneity. Do you know what that means? It means everyone is identicle! They behave exactly the same, i.e utility maximising (this also applies to stupid people with no qualifications, and they assume they would start using game-theoretic models, to determine optimal strategies, this is ludicrous! The 'art' behind economics has been 'chucked in the bin' by economic researchers, and instead they've assumed humans behave like robots.

At least a few people understand whats going on, if you still don't understand now, you'll never understand.

Latest

Trending

Trending