P2 - What's the difference between mass and force??

Watch
Perfection Ace
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I was revising about resultant forces and Hooke's Law and for resultant force, it was measured in Newtons and for mass it was also measured in Newtons....? So what's the difference?

Thanks
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Sounds like a mistake to me. Mass is measured in kilograms, not Newtons.

Mass describes the quantity of matter an object contains. Force is any influence that can cause something with mass to accelerate.
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Perfection Ace)
So I was revising about resultant forces and Hooke's Law and for resultant force, it was measured in Newtons and for mass it was also measured in Newtons....? So what's the difference?

Thanks
It's a mistake. Mass isn't measured in Newtons. Weight is.
britishtf2
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Perfection Ace)

Thanks
Mass should not be measured in Newtons*: it is measured in kilograms. Weight (mass*gravity - gravity is an acceleration of, on Earth, 9.81ms^-2) is measured in Newtons.

Mass is how much stuff there is and weight is the force pulling you down to the Earth. Generally, a force is an interaction acting on a body which, assuming no opposition, will change its motion.

*Newtons in SI units is kgms^-2
TheConfusedMedic
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
mass is in kilograms (kg)
weight is in newtons (N)

Spoiler:
Show
because I think that mass is the amount of matter whereas weight is a force
Perfection Ace
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Okay thanks everyone!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.74%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.35%
No (110)
27.09%
I'm not sure (52)
12.81%

Watched Threads