Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Egyptology a social science? Watch

• Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Just wondering, as I applied for something that said you needed to be studying a social science. I classify it as one, anyhow. I haven't got a reply yet so we'll see what happens. Any opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    Just wondering, as I applied for something that said you needed to be studying a social science. I classify it as one, anyhow. I haven't got a reply yet so we'll see what happens. Any opinions?
    It is a cool subject
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Who really built the pyramids of Giza?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ODES_PDES)
    It is a cool subject
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Who really built the pyramids of Giza?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Aliens.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Aliens.
    That is what I thought.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Bump? Is Egyptology a social science? SOMEONE HELP, PLEASE!

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think it is
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Apparently Egyptology IS a social science, because I'm through to the next round!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Apparently Egyptology IS a social science, because I'm through to the next round!
    Irrelevant. It isn't a social science, it's a humanities subject. Frankly I'm amazed you even asked this question.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Irrelevant. It isn't a social science, it's a humanities subject. Frankly I'm amazed you even asked this question.
    I saw an article recently arguing that it was a social science, so that's where my confusion stemmed from.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I saw an article recently arguing that it was a social science, so that's where my confusion stemmed from.
    Also irrelevant. Egyptology is a humanities subject.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Also irrelevant. Egyptology is a humanities subject.
    I'm very sorry, I wasn't sure before.

ReputationRep:
    Egyptology would likely be referring to ancient egyptian civilisation and is likely a branch of archaeology without going on to a website to check and using what I consider my own common sense.

Archaeology requires natural sciences such as biology, chemistry and then geography to bring in the social science side, and then when you are talking about history, culture, religion, architecture this would be a mix of social science and humanities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by post-grad-u-ate)
    Egyptology would likely be referring to ancient egyptian civilisation and is likely a branch of archaeology without going on to a website to check and using what I consider my own common sense.

Archaeology requires natural sciences such as biology, chemistry and then geography to bring in the social science side, and then when you are talking about history, culture, religion, architecture this would be a mix of social science and humanities.
    Because it is focused on one specific civilisation it is like asking if '18th century englandology' is a social science.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad

Because it is focused on one specific civilisation it is like asking if '18th century englandology' is a social science.
    Thank you very much. I understand that it is a mixture and the programme I am applying for simply stated that you must be studying a 'social science'. Therefore, I was unsure whether or not I would be eligible to apply, but I applied anyway and was successful.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on your success Some of you in this thread are being quite unnecessarily blunt also.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Congrats on your success Some of you in this thread are being quite unnecessarily blunt also.
    Thank you very much.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Not at all. The OP asked a question and got a succinct and not impolite answer. For reasons unknown he then bumped the thread and claimed that Egyptology was in fact a social science even though it isn't.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.