Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would like to take a gap year before going to uni as a vet student but having looked online it seems that volunteering with animals or getting a job abroad costs a fortune! Does anyone know a way of making it cheaper or better people to go with? (For example someone recommended smaller earth, but they charge £350 to be an au pair in Spain, and £1100 to be a farmer in Australia. And all volunteering projects I find are in excess of £400 for two weeks)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jen Marsh)
    I would like to take a gap year before going to uni as a vet student but having looked online it seems that volunteering with animals or getting a job abroad costs a fortune! Does anyone know a way of making it cheaper or better people to go with? (For example someone recommended smaller earth, but they charge £350 to be an au pair in Spain, and £1100 to be a farmer in Australia. And all volunteering projects I find are in excess of £400 for two weeks)
    I really want to take a gap year too and have looked into these programmes then looked at the price... I'm planning on doing it on my own terms, forgetting the expensive companies and doing it myself

ReputationRep:
    Wait, wait, wait, what?

It actually costs money to volunteer? Are these people sick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wordnerd2)
    I really want to take a gap year too and have looked into these programmes then looked at the price... I'm planning on doing it on my own terms, forgetting the expensive companies and doing it myself
    That sounds like a great idea, do you have any tips about planning your own gap year and where to start?

ReputationRep:
    I'm 15 and haven't actually planned on yet but I've watched many videos on YouTube and that's how I learn most of what I want to do so you should try that ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So has anyone had any more ideas? Still struggling to find ANYWHERE that doesn't charge the Earth!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have been an au pair 3 times and found all of my jobs via aupairworld for free. In regards of animal based volunteering, there are options. I volunteered at care for dogs shelter in Chiang Mai, Thailand and just had to sort flights (accommodation and food was between £5-£10 a day). I have also volunteered in Malaysia and India for free outside of living and travel expenses. Another option is WWOOFing or using HelpX to find a volunteer placement with free board and often food in exchange for work. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veganrockchick)
    Hey, I have been an au pair 3 times and found all of my jobs via aupairworld for free. In regards of animal based volunteering, there are options. I volunteered at care for dogs shelter in Chiang Mai, Thailand and just had to sort flights (accommodation and food was between £5-£10 a day). I have also volunteered in Malaysia and India for free outside of living and travel expenses. Another option is WWOOFing or using HelpX to find a volunteer placement with free board and often food in exchange for work. Good luck!
    Thanks for your help, they all sound like awesome ideas! I'll definitely check them out.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to say you are not going to find animal work without paying a lot! Supply and demand. Few places offering and lots wanting to work with animals, so they charge loads.

ReputationRep:
    Some volunteer programs with animals are really expensive as they are run of shoe string budgets and need money from volunteers/donations to keep operational, and also some agencies charge a mark up. The trick is you need to apply direct to the local organisation or charity to get low cost / free volunteer programs abroad. It also really depends on where you want to go, message me if you need any recommendations

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.