Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I want to continue my studies in the UK so I have to use Ucas and I have some questions about this service:
    1-Currently I study in a french high school which is located outside France
    ,in the country section I choose France or the country where the high school is located?

    2-Concerning the referent, Can he write the letter in french and translate it afterwards?About the predicted grade he will have to give his subject's one only?

    Thank you


    1 - Select the country you are applying from, i.e. if you are in Belgium you should put the details of your school from Belgium in your Education section.

    In your qualification section, you can still select French Baccalaureate and add in your predicted or overall grade (I presume you're studying for this), even if you are applying from a Belgian school.

    2 - For the reference I would recommend it to be submitted to UCAS in English. He should give a predicted grade for your overall final grade - for the French Bacc these are marked out of 20 so his prediction should be e.g. 16 Overall, a subject by subject breakdown is not necessary.
    • Thread Starter

    Is it better to have the Head teacher as referent or just a teacher who knows me very well?
    He can predict my grade even if I'll pass the French Bacc next year?

    He can make a prediction and it will be noted, but the offer will be conditional on you achieving a certain grade overall, his prediction isn't considered very seriously. The important thing is whether or not you can get the grade yourself, not a prediction that could be made by someone who barely knows or teaches you personally.

    We wouldn't reject someone because of a bad reference (surprise: no teacher has ever submitted a bad reference for one of my courses), but we wouldn't accept someone because of a good reference either - you just can't tell if the referee is being honest or trying to oversell their pupil. In truth it's just a formality. It can come from your teacher or your headteacher, there is no preference.
    • Thread Starter

Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.