The Student Room Group

Self teaching Further Maths AS?

I'm in year 11 and have chosen Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Economics as my A-level subjects
I was going to pick Further Maths also but that would mean no free periods

I will have a tutor to help me along the way as well as self teaching/learning

I'm just a bit confused as to how this would work..

What exam board should I do?
How many modules do I do or do I pick the ones I want to do (not familiar with the whole M1/C1 thingy that everyone talks about)
How much time would I have to dedicate to the subject (I've heard Further Maths is equivalent to only half an A-level)

thanks x
Reply 1
Original post by fishandrice
I'm in year 11 and have chosen Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Economics as my A-level subjects

How many modules do I do or do I pick the ones I want to do (not familiar with the whole M1/C1 thingy that everyone talks about)
How much time would I have to dedicate to the subject (I've heard Further Maths is equivalent to only half an A-level

You do need to do the same exam board as your school does for Maths and you need to ask your school if you can take the exams there - there are often insoluble clashes with exams if you don't. Just like other subjects, you can take Further Maths to AS or the full A level. It's 3 units for the AS. Find out which units your school does at A level (C1-4 then which 2 others?) and then you need to do FP1 plus 2 units you won't do in school.
You'll be doing 3 modules for your maths these will be core 1 and core 2 and then an applied module (statistics, mechanics or decision). Edexcel is a good exam board you can get textbooks for each module which have questions and examples so are ideal for self teaching. For AS further you'll need to do further pure 1 and 2 applied units: I did statistics 2 (because I really liked s1) but if you look through the specifications you can see what suits you best.
Self teaching is ok but just make sure if you get stuck ask straight away because if you don't it's easy to get really confused. YouTube videos are also really helpful.
Good luck 😀
Reply 3
Original post by Compost
You do need to do the same exam board as your school does for Maths and you need to ask your school if you can take the exams there - there are often insoluble clashes with exams if you don't. Just like other subjects, you can take Further Maths to AS or the full A level. It's 3 units for the AS. Find out which units your school does at A level (C1-4 then which 2 others?) and then you need to do FP1 plus 2 units you won't do in school.

Thanks, I never even thought about that
So I know the college I would like to go to does the exam board MEI but i'm not sure about the units they do for Further Maths, I'll try to call them up and ask for an answer.
And if i'm right in guessing... that's 4 entire units i'll be doing then for Further maths?
Reply 4
Thanks, I never even thought about that
So I know the college I would like to go to does the exam board MEI but i'm not sure about the units they do for Further Maths, I'll try to call them up and ask for an answer.
And if i'm right in guessing... that's 4 entire units i'll be doing then for Further maths?

You don't necessarily have to do the units they would do for Further Maths, just avoid doing the units they are going to teach you later on for Maths - (e.g.) there's no point teaching yourself M1 for AS Further Maths if you are going to be taught it in school the following year for A2 Maths as then you'd have to teach yourself another unit.
Reply 5
Original post by Cardboard5678
You'll be doing 3 modules for your maths these will be core 1 and core 2 and then an applied module (statistics, mechanics or decision). Edexcel is a good exam board you can get textbooks for each module which have questions and examples so are ideal for self teaching. For AS further you'll need to do further pure 1 and 2 applied units: I did statistics 2 (because I really liked s1) but if you look through the specifications you can see what suits you best.
Self teaching is ok but just make sure if you get stuck ask straight away because if you don't it's easy to get really confused. YouTube videos are also really helpful.
Good luck 😀

I'll be doing the exam board MEI (OCR) which lacks resources so I don't know if self teaching would be a good idea anymore:frown:
Soo... for Normal Maths, there are 3 units (taking this as an A-level in my college with mechanics)
And for Further Maths, there are also 3 units (but FP1 is compulsory?)
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
You don't necessarily have to do the units they would do for Further Maths, just avoid doing the units they are going to teach you later on for Maths - (e.g.) there's no point teaching yourself M1 for AS Further Maths if you are going to be taught it in school the following year for A2 Maths as then you'd have to teach yourself another unit.

Ohh right thanks, I get it now!:smile:
Reply 7

How much time would I have to dedicate to the subject (I've heard Further Maths is equivalent to only half an A-level)

thanks x

First of all, FMaths is not equivalent to half an A-level and is only seen as lesser by some medical schools, for everything else, it is great to have.
You'd have to do the same exam board as the one you will be using for your standard maths A-level, and you will be taking 3 units, including FP1 and two applied modules (for the AS-level). Make sure that the supplied module you pick won't be one that your school does for maths A-level.

As to how much time, it depends on how good you are at maths. If you really understand it all, then not too long, but you'd want to do a lot of practice questions.

Taking 5 subjects is very difficult though and will require a lot of time and effort, if you're not 100% certain on one of your choices, then don't take it, trust me.

Quick Reply

Latest